Binomial distribution of "worlds" in MWI

In summary: The Born rule plays a crucial role in the dynamics of the wave function, through the process of decoherence. Decoherence is what causes the apparent emergence of classical probabilities in the MWI. So the Born rule is still important in the MWI, but in a different way than in other interpretations.In summary, the MWI posits that all "worlds" are realized by each measurement, with each "world" having a probability of 1. The Born rule is still important in the MWI, as it plays a crucial role in the process of decoherence, which causes the apparent emergence of classical probabilities. However, in the MWI, the Born rule is seen as
entropy1
If we have a spin measurement with P(up)=0.5 en P(down)=0.5, this is equivalent to tossing a coin P(heads)=0.5 and P(tails)=0.5.

The probability of having five heads and five tails out of ten tosses is the binomial: ##\binom{10}{5}(0.5)^5(0.5)^5##. So the same would hold for the spin measurement as given.

If we consider MWI to this respect, the probability of getting into (experience) a "world" in which we measure n(up) times spin up out of N measurements, would be the binomial ##\binom{N}{n(up)}(0.5)^{n(up)}(0.5)^{N-n(up)}##.

So the distribution of the worlds with n(up) spin-ups out of N measurements would be the binomial distribution. All "worlds" are actually realized, and all have probability 1. For every "world" with spin-up, there is a "world" with spin-down and vice-versa. In world A, probability for up=1, in world B, probability for down=1; overall the probability is (A+B)/2. For other probabilities of the spin measurement, the reasoning is the same. In the case of two eigenvalues, like spin, the "worlds" with n(up) would always have the binomial probability distribution.

This contradicts the Born rule, because what happens in MWI is independent of probabilities of outcomes.

Would that be correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
For every "world" with spin-up, there is a "world" with spin-down and vice-versa. In world A, probability for up=1, in world B, probability for down=1; overall the probability is (A+B)/2
I think you need to elaborate on what you mean by this. Earlier you described a statistic n as the number of up spins observed. That is a meaningful statistic. But I don't understand what you are referring to when you write 'probability for up = 1'. You appear to no longer be referring to the number of up spins observed.

Two things to bear in mind here:

1. The probabilities for systems containing multiple identical particles are not binomial, because the binomial distribution assumes items are distinguishable.

2. In a MWI context, the Born-rule probabilities are epistemological, not ontological. That is, they tell us the probability of observing a certain outcome, given what we know about the system. We cannot validly use information we do not know, to modify the probabilities. It appeared to me that you might be doing that in your set-up, but I could not make sure as the description lacked detail.

andrewkirk said:
1. The probabilities for systems containing multiple identical particles are not binomial, because the binomial distribution assumes items are distinguishable.

While this is true, I don't think it applies to the scenario described in the OP; that scenario appears to me to be about repeated measurements on identically prepared single particles, not single measurements of systems containing multiple particles.

entropy1 said:
All "worlds" are actually realized

Yes.

entropy1 said:
and all have probability 1.

This seems to be a common statement in the context of the MWI, but I don't think it's correct. This meaning of the term "probability" is not applicable in the context of the MWI, because the MWI is completely deterministic. In that completely deterministic context, the only thing that could meaningfully be described as having "probability 1" is the entire wave function after measurement.

entropy1 said:
In world A, probability for up=1, in world B, probability for down=1; overall the probability is (A+B)/2.

This does not seem valid to me, in the light of the comments I've made above.

PeterDonis said:
This meaning of the term "probability" is not applicable in the context of the MWI, because the MWI is completely deterministic.
My two cents:

There is a difference between quantum level and classic level, as is between subjectivity and objectivity. With respect to MWI, while the wavefunction on the quantum level encompasses all outcomes on the objective level, we observe an outcome that then has probability 1 (it has been actualized) on the subjective level which is also the macro level.

The outcomes in the different "worlds" have probability 1 on the subjective level, regardless the probability given by the Born rule, so the only difference between the worlds is the measurement outcomes, n(up) and n(down).

So, do you claim that MWI is a non-probabilistic view? What role does the Born rule then have in that view?
PeterDonis said:
While this is true, I don't think it applies to the scenario described in the OP; that scenario appears to me to be about repeated measurements on identically prepared single particles,
To illuminate my application of the Binomial distribution concerning, that would be necessary I think, yes. But the essence of MWI in this matter seems to be to me that all worlds get realized by each measurement.

It would come to my own theories, which I don't want to share here. My knowledge about this is far too limited.

entropy1 said:
There is a difference between quantum level and classic level, as is between subjectivity and objectivity.

This depends on which interpretation of QM you adopt.

entropy1 said:
we observe an outcome that then has probability 1 (it has been actualized)

No, we don't. As I've already said, "probability 1" is meaningless in this context. If you continue to make this assertion, this thread will be closed.

entropy1 said:
do you claim that MWI is a non-probabilistic view?

The MWI is completely deterministic, as I've already said. From the MWI point of view, the only role "probability" plays is epistemic--the MWI proponent has to explain why it appears to us that predicting the results of QM experiments involves probabilities.

entropy1 said:
What role does the Born rule then have in that view?

The MWI proponent has to explain why our observations of QM measurements appear to obey the Born rule. But the rule plays no role in the actual dynamics of the wave function in the MWI.

entropy1 said:
the essence of MWI in this matter seems to be to me that all worlds get realized by each measurement

Yes.

Likes mattt
PeterDonis said:
The MWI is completely deterministic, as I've already said. From the MWI point of view, the only role "probability" plays is epistemic--the MWI proponent has to explain why it appears to us that predicting the results of QM experiments involves probabilities.
So my (not so well explained) view is that if the MWI is the hypothesis, that (in my view) the Born rule is superfluous, like you also seem to say.
PeterDonis said:
But the rule plays no role in the actual dynamics of the wave function in the MWI.
After further investigation I even think that this may be in conflict with interpretations that use the Born rule. Until the Born rule is, as you say, explained within the MWI.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
if the MWI is the hypothesis, that (in my view) the Born rule is superfluous

entropy1 said:
I even think that this may be in conflict with interpretations that use the Born rule. Until the Born rule is, as you say, explained within the MWI

This is indeed a common criticism of the MWI.

1. What is the "Binomial distribution of worlds" in MWI?

The "Binomial distribution of worlds" in MWI stands for the distribution of all possible outcomes or worlds that can exist in the Many-Worlds Interpretation of quantum mechanics. It is based on the concept that every time a quantum measurement is made, the universe splits into multiple parallel universes, each representing a different outcome of the measurement. The binomial distribution is used to calculate the probability of each outcome occurring.

2. How is the binomial distribution of worlds calculated in MWI?

The binomial distribution of worlds is calculated by using the binomial probability formula: P(k) = (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where n is the total number of possible outcomes, k is the number of successes, and p is the probability of success for each outcome. In the context of MWI, n represents the number of parallel universes, k represents the number of universes where a specific outcome occurs, and p represents the probability of that outcome occurring in each universe.

3. Can the binomial distribution of worlds be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, the binomial distribution of worlds can be applied to real-world scenarios, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It can be used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in experiments involving quantum systems, such as the double-slit experiment or the measurement of a particle's spin. However, it should be noted that the concept of parallel universes in MWI is still a subject of debate and has not been proven to exist.

4. What are the limitations of using the binomial distribution of worlds in MWI?

One limitation of using the binomial distribution of worlds in MWI is that it assumes a fixed number of parallel universes, which may not be accurate in reality. The actual number of parallel universes, if they exist, may vary and cannot be determined. Additionally, the formula does not take into account the effects of decoherence, which is the loss of quantum coherence between parallel universes over time.

5. How does the binomial distribution of worlds in MWI differ from the traditional interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The traditional interpretation of quantum mechanics, known as the Copenhagen interpretation, does not involve the concept of parallel universes. Instead, it states that the act of measurement causes the collapse of the wave function, resulting in a single outcome. In contrast, MWI suggests that all possible outcomes exist in parallel universes, each with its own version of reality. The binomial distribution of worlds is used in MWI to calculate the probabilities of these different outcomes.