Biochemistry Degree: What are my Grad School options?

Ultimately, the decision to change your major should be based on your personal interests and goals, as well as your financial situation. In summary, it is possible for someone with a degree in Biochemistry to apply to graduate school and work in an inorganic or organic lab. However, it may be beneficial for the individual to take additional courses and gain research experience in those areas in order to make their application more competitive. Ultimately, the decision to change majors should be based on personal interests and financial considerations.
obsoletelogic
Hello, I'm in something of a unique situation. I was a Cell & Molecular Biology major, but I have since realized that I'm really more passionate about Chemistry. I am deeply considering changing my major to Biochemistry (the degrees have significant overlap at my university but are offered by different departments).

However, I am becoming more and more interested in inorganic chemistry, especially chemistry as a materials science, and in the application of other fields like organic chemistry. What I am wondering is, if my interest pervades through the rest of my undergraduate career, I could apply to chemistry graduate programs in different disciplines?

That is to say, could I apply to graduate school and work in an inorganic or organic lab despite having a degree in Biochemistry instead of Chemistry? Biochem degrees at my university have to take two semesters worth of Organic and Physical chem, as well as one semester's worth of Analytical Chemistry, and a slew of Biochemistry credits. I planned on taking the Inorganic classes offered here as my electives.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, I was just hoping to get some input from graduate students or others with experience that don't work in the molecular biology research lab I currently volunteer in.

EDIT: I should add: the reason I cannot change my major to Chemistry is that it would take slightly longer, and that is not financially feasible for me at this time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to apply to graduate school and work in an inorganic or organic lab with a degree in Biochemistry. However, it may be beneficial for you to take additional courses in the areas you are interested in. With a degree in Biochemistry, you would still need to demonstrate a strong background in inorganic and organic chemistry, as well as analytical chemistry. Depending on the program, they may require that you have coursework in those areas beyond the minimum requirements for a Biochemistry degree. Therefore, it may be beneficial for you to take additional courses as electives that focus on inorganic and organic chemistry to make your application more competitive. Additionally, research experience related to inorganic and organic chemistry would also help to demonstrate your interest and knowledge in those areas.

FAQ: Biochemistry Degree: What are my Grad School options?

What is a biochemistry degree?

A biochemistry degree is an undergraduate degree that focuses on the study of the chemical processes and substances within living organisms. It combines principles of biology and chemistry to understand the chemical basis of life.

What are the career options with a biochemistry degree?

A biochemistry degree can lead to a variety of career options, including working in research laboratories, pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, or government agencies. Some common job titles for biochemistry graduates include research scientist, quality control analyst, biotech consultant, and pharmaceutical sales representative.

What are the benefits of pursuing a biochemistry degree for grad school?

Graduate school can provide advanced training and specialization in a specific area of biochemistry, such as molecular biology, genetics, or bioinformatics. It can also open up opportunities for higher-paying jobs and leadership roles in the scientific community.

What are the requirements for getting into a biochemistry graduate program?

Requirements for graduate school vary depending on the institution, but typically include a strong academic background in biochemistry, biology, and chemistry, as well as letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE).

What are some top graduate programs for biochemistry?

Some top graduate programs for biochemistry include the University of California-Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-San Francisco, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. It is important to research and consider factors such as program curriculum, faculty expertise, and research opportunities when choosing a graduate program.