Biochemistry or Genetics? A math concern

In summary, if you are not comfortable with math, biochemistry may not be the best major for you. You can still do well in biochemistry, but you may need to take some lower level math classes to compensate. However, if you are willing to take more math classes, statistics may be a helpful minor.
IAJstea
Hello, this will be my first post- so, apologies if I've accidently broken any forum rules.

Anyway, my question is this: Should I major in Genetics or Biochemistry?

As of now, I'm leaning toward biochem (I would love either major- biochem just covers more of my interests). However, my math skills are a tad mediocre. The highest level math class I've taken is one step below pre-calculus (although, I did get an 'A').

I'm a fast learner, but I'm still afraid I wouldn't be able to understand/keep up with the mathematical demands of biochemistry. One of the colleges I'm looking at does give biochemistry majors the option of taking lower level math classes instead of calc. If I went that route, would the other aspects of biochem course work still be doable for me (such as the physics)?

As I'm willing to take more math classes to compensate for my less educated self would minoring in something like statistics or math be any help? If not, then genetics it is!

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
IAJstea said:
Hello, this will be my first post- so, apologies if I've accidently broken any forum rules.

Anyway, my question is this: Should I major in Genetics or Biochemistry?

As of now, I'm leaning toward biochem (I would love either major- biochem just covers more of my interests). However, my math skills are a tad mediocre. The highest level math class I've taken is one step below pre-calculus (although, I did get an 'A').

I'm a fast learner, but I'm still afraid I wouldn't be able to understand/keep up with the mathematical demands of biochemistry. One of the colleges I'm looking at does give biochemistry majors the option of taking lower level math classes instead of calc. If I went that route, would the other aspects of biochem course work still be doable for me (such as the physics)?

As I'm willing to take more math classes to compensate for my less educated self would minoring in something like statistics or math be any help? If not, then genetics it is!

Thanks for any input.

Do you want to go further than undergraduate?

Biochemistry or genetics don't really have much math. The biochem majors at my school are only required to take up to Calc 2. I know a major myself, and according to her they see an integral every so often. This shouldn't be a concern. The chemistry/biochem courses will probably be more of a big deal than calc 2.

You don't need to minor in math, that would be way overkill for either of those majors. It probably wouldn't hurt, but I doubt much that you would learn would be relevant. Statistics may be useful though. I work in a genetics lab and I see statistics books everywhere and have heard some genetics graduate students talk about courses in stat and whatnot.

It depends on your program. I was a Molecular Biology/Biochemistry major and Physics major in undergraduate.

The only time you needed calculus for Biochemistry was to learn about kinetic rate laws. Even then it was only 1st semester calculus, and to be honest, it wasn't needed because you're never asked to derive rate law (for example, dr/dt=k[a]^b[r]... if you don't know what that means... no worries). The highest math requirements that I've ever come across, required for Biochemistry majors, was 1st semester calculus. Molecular biology was just college algebra and trig.

However, if you do attend graduate school, you may be asked to take a course in Physical Biochemistry (physical chemistry for bio majors) or physical chemistry that will take into account higher maths. However, I'm sure that will be totally dependent on your interest.

It's interesting to note that there are areas in biochemistry that are heavily involved with physics and entail more maths that you maybe interested in. For instance, x-ray crystallography, biophysics, and molecular physics. I've attended conferences where I've seen an increase in Biological disciplines attacking problems from a physical perspectives.

I'll have a talk with a few college advisers and whatnot. But, I'm thinking I may give biochem a try. Thanks for the help.

I would recommend considering your strengths and interests when deciding between biochemistry and genetics. Both fields are highly interdisciplinary and require a strong foundation in math and other sciences. However, if you are more interested in the chemical and biochemical processes that occur within living organisms, then biochemistry may be the better fit for you. If you are more interested in the study of genes and heredity, then genetics may be the better choice.

In terms of your concerns about your math skills, it is important to keep in mind that both biochemistry and genetics require a solid understanding of math, particularly in areas such as statistics and calculus. If you are willing to put in the effort to improve your math skills, then pursuing biochemistry may still be a viable option for you. Consider taking additional math courses or seeking help from tutors or professors to strengthen your skills.

Alternatively, if you are not confident in your ability to excel in the math-heavy aspects of biochemistry, then genetics may be a better fit. However, keep in mind that genetics also involves a significant amount of math, particularly in data analysis and statistical methods. Minoring in statistics or math could certainly be helpful in both fields, but it is important to make sure that you are truly interested in and dedicated to these subjects before committing to a minor. Ultimately, the most important factor is to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths, as this will lead to a more fulfilling and successful academic and career path.

Related to Biochemistry or Genetics? A math concern

1. What is the difference between biochemistry and genetics?

Biochemistry is the study of chemical processes and reactions that occur within living organisms. Genetics, on the other hand, is the study of heredity and the variation of inherited traits in living organisms. While biochemistry focuses on the chemical makeup and processes of living things, genetics focuses on the inheritance and expression of traits.

2. How does math play a role in biochemistry?

Math is an essential tool in biochemistry, as it helps to analyze and interpret data, make predictions, and model complex biological systems. For example, mathematical equations are used to calculate enzyme kinetics, determine protein structures, and predict the effects of mutations on gene expression.

3. What are some common applications of biochemistry and genetics?

Biochemistry and genetics have many practical applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and biotechnology. Some common examples include the development of new drugs and treatments, genetic testing for diseases, and genetically modified crops for increased yield and resistance to pests.

4. How are biochemistry and genetics related to each other?

Biochemistry and genetics are closely related, as they both involve the study of living organisms and their molecular makeup. Biochemical processes are governed by the genetic information encoded in an organism's DNA, and changes in this genetic information can result in changes in biochemical processes.

5. What are some common techniques used in biochemistry and genetics research?

Some common techniques used in biochemistry and genetics research include DNA sequencing, protein purification, gene cloning, and various types of microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to study the molecular structures and processes of living organisms in detail, providing valuable insights into their functions and behaviors.