Biodegradable packaging too noisy?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
In summary, Frito-Lay (Pepsi) has decided to switch back to non-biodegradable packaging after receiving complaints from their customers about the noise level of their biodegradable packaging. This decision was made in response to customer feedback, showing the company's commitment to listening to their customers. The conversation then shifts to the effectiveness of biodegradable packaging and the potential "ego food" that consumers may receive from using it. However, it is argued that the bigger impact on the environment may come from single-serving packs themselves.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Frito-Lay (Pepsi) has announced (some weeks ago, I think) that they are reverting to non-biodegradable packaging after their (US?) customers made noises about their newly-introduced biodegradable packaging being "too noisy." ("We need to listen to our customers," one spokesperson was quoted, here.)

Do you think the biodegradables are really too noisy? More to the point, do you think the noise level offsets the "ego food" you might be getting in the form of "today, I did something good for the environment"?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think the bigger impact is single-serving packs themselves.

EnumaElish said:
Frito-Lay (Pepsi) has announced (some weeks ago, I think) that they are reverting to non-biodegradable packaging after their (US?) customers made noises about their newly-introduced biodegradable packaging being "too noisy." ("We need to listen to our customers," one spokesperson was quoted, here.)

Do you think the biodegradables are really too noisy? More to the point, do you think the noise level offsets the "ego food" you might be getting in the form of "today, I did something good for the environment"?
People are all for "environmetally sound" practices/products as long as it's free and it doesn't differ from the non- environmentally sound" practices/products.

I like your pun, "environmentally sound" :chuckle:

I can understand the concerns raised about the noise level of biodegradable packaging. However, I believe it is important to consider the bigger picture and the potential benefits of using biodegradable packaging.

Firstly, noise pollution is a valid concern and it is important to address it. However, it is also important to recognize that the noise level of biodegradable packaging is not significantly higher than that of non-biodegradable packaging. In fact, many other factors, such as traffic and construction, contribute much more to overall noise pollution.

Moreover, the use of biodegradable packaging can have significant environmental benefits. By using biodegradable materials, we can reduce the amount of plastic waste that ends up in landfills and oceans, which has a negative impact on the environment and wildlife. In the long run, this can help mitigate the effects of climate change and preserve our planet for future generations.

It is also worth considering the potential trade-offs between the noise level and the benefits of using biodegradable packaging. While the noise level may be slightly higher, the positive impact on the environment can far outweigh this inconvenience.

In terms of the "ego food" aspect, I believe it is important for individuals to take small steps towards sustainability and protecting the environment. However, it is also important for companies like Frito-Lay to prioritize the overall environmental impact of their packaging rather than just catering to customers' egos.

In conclusion, while the concerns about the noise level of biodegradable packaging should be taken into consideration, I believe that the potential benefits far outweigh this issue. As scientists, it is our responsibility to prioritize the long-term health of our planet and make decisions based on scientific evidence rather than short-term convenience.

1. What is biodegradable packaging?

Biodegradable packaging refers to packaging materials that can be broken down and decomposed by microorganisms, such as bacteria or fungi, into natural substances like water, carbon dioxide, and biomass. This process of decomposition helps to reduce the amount of waste in landfills and can have a lower environmental impact.

2. Why is biodegradable packaging important?

Biodegradable packaging is important because it helps to reduce the amount of waste in landfills, which can take hundreds or even thousands of years to decompose. It also helps to reduce the use of non-renewable resources, such as petroleum, which is often used to make traditional plastic packaging. Additionally, biodegradable packaging can have a lower carbon footprint and can be more environmentally friendly.

3. How does biodegradable packaging affect noise levels?

Biodegradable packaging can affect noise levels in two ways. Firstly, the materials used to make biodegradable packaging, such as starch-based plastics or paper, can produce more noise when handled or moved compared to traditional plastic packaging. Secondly, biodegradable packaging can also be noisier during the decomposition process, as the microorganisms breaking down the packaging can produce gas and cause the packaging to make noise as it breaks down.

4. Can the noise from biodegradable packaging be reduced?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the noise from biodegradable packaging. For example, manufacturers can use different materials or processes to create biodegradable packaging that is quieter. Consumers can also take steps to reduce noise levels by handling and disposing of biodegradable packaging carefully and properly.

5. Is biodegradable packaging too noisy for practical use?

The noise from biodegradable packaging may be a concern for some industries or settings, but it ultimately depends on the specific type of packaging and its intended use. In many cases, the benefits of biodegradable packaging, such as its lower environmental impact, may outweigh any potential noise concerns. However, it is important for manufacturers to continue to innovate and find ways to reduce noise levels in biodegradable packaging to make it more widely accepted and practical for various uses.