Biodegradable packaging too noisy?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

Frito-Lay (Pepsi) has announced (some weeks ago, I think) that they are reverting to non-biodegradable packaging after their (US?) customers made noises about their newly-introduced biodegradable packaging being "too noisy." ("We need to listen to our customers," one spokesperson was quoted, here.)

Do you think the biodegradables are really too noisy? More to the point, do you think the noise level offsets the "ego food" you might be getting in the form of "today, I did something good for the environment"?

Answers and Replies

i think the bigger impact is single-serving packs themselves.

Evo
Mentor
Frito-Lay (Pepsi) has announced (some weeks ago, I think) that they are reverting to non-biodegradable packaging after their (US?) customers made noises about their newly-introduced biodegradable packaging being "too noisy." ("We need to listen to our customers," one spokesperson was quoted, here.)

Do you think the biodegradables are really too noisy? More to the point, do you think the noise level offsets the "ego food" you might be getting in the form of "today, I did something good for the environment"?
People are all for "environmetally sound" practices/products as long as it's free and it doesn't differ from the non- environmentally sound" practices/products.

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I like your pun, "environmentally sound" :chuckle: