Bioinformatics (Which math and comp sci courses to take?)

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for advice on their minor choices for a bioinformatics degree. They are considering either focusing on statistics and probability or discrete math, and are unsure about which computer science courses to take. They are also advised to leave room for biology courses and to explore their interests in the field to guide their course choices.
carophil
Hello, I am starting university this winter and I have a question for those of you who know a little bit about bioinformatics.

My school allows me to take 3 minors (Math,Computer science,Software engineering) and turn them into an applied science Bachelor's degree. This allows me to skip a lot of the humanities and business courses I would otherwise be forced to take and let's me get a much deeper mathematical formation and more compsci credits than the regular formation.

My minor in math has 5 required courses
1.Introduction to scientific programming
2.Calculus 1
3.Linear algebra 1
4.Probability 1
5.Statistics 1

After that, I have to pick 5 math courses to complete my minor. Should I go more into statistics&probability or more into discrete math(like graph theory and combinatorics)? Which would be more useful to someone who wants to become a bioinformatician.

Also for the computer side...What should I really look out for? Should I take all the algorithm design and advanced data base courses or go into another aspect of computer science? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump :P

This should help:

http://www.compbio.cmu.edu/Admissions/prerequisites.html

Make sure to reserve room for some biology courses (it may be a better idea to change the software engineering minor to a Biology one, if that's an option). Also, most of your questions depend on what you mean by "bioinformatics", as it can mean myriad things--it's a very broad field (just look at the wiki page or the research interests of people in the bioinformatics department at a big university). As you go along on your studies you'll discover what's more interesting and what you want to study, and that will direct you to whichever classes you need to take. It's pretty difficult to predict a priori which classes will be more useful without more information; however, if you have all those prerequisites (sans maybe P-chem unless you're into simulations) from the link, you'll be in good shape (for whatever it is you want to do; you haven't stated what).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What math courses are required for bioinformatics?

The math courses required for bioinformatics typically include calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and discrete mathematics. These courses provide the necessary foundation for understanding and analyzing biological data.

2. What computer science courses are necessary for bioinformatics?

Computer science courses that are essential for bioinformatics include programming languages such as Python, R, and Java, as well as data structures, algorithms, and databases. These courses help with data analysis and management in bioinformatics.

3. Is it important to have a background in biology for bioinformatics?

While a background in biology can be helpful, it is not always necessary for bioinformatics. However, having a basic understanding of biology concepts and terminology can aid in the interpretation of biological data.

4. How can I prepare for a career in bioinformatics?

In addition to taking relevant math and computer science courses, it is important to gain experience in bioinformatics through internships or research opportunities. It can also be beneficial to take courses in genetics, molecular biology, and biochemistry to gain a deeper understanding of biological concepts.

5. Are there any online resources or courses for learning bioinformatics?

Yes, there are numerous online resources and courses available for learning bioinformatics, including MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) and tutorials on popular bioinformatics tools and software. It is also helpful to join online communities and forums to connect with other bioinformaticians and learn from their experiences.