1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biological Sciences and Biomedical Sciences

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    What is the difference between biological sciences and biomedical sciences? In biological sciences, is the main focus ecosystems, evolution etc or is the main focus human biology or zoology?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2015 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I think that's generally correct: biology is concerned with all living things and their environment; biomedical science/engineering typically focus on those biological systems with relevance to humans (either health or technology, like biofuels)

4. Sep 11, 2015 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

Yes, that's my understanding too.

5. Sep 11, 2015 #4
    Is there a field that I could study at undergraduate level that teaches both biological sciences and biomedical sciences/engineering?

6. Sep 11, 2015 #5
    That is probably a little too broad of a subject. Any program that covered [or attempted to cover] all of that couldn't go into any useful depth. Depending on what you find interesting, you can probably find a good program nonetheless.

7. Sep 11, 2015 #6

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Typically it's best to start general and then get more specific as you refine your interests and recongize your own skills. So you might want to look for a biology program that allows for various streams of specialization in your upper years.

8. Sep 12, 2015 #7
    Any general biosciences course will probably have some scope for various aspects of human biology and pathology. You will probably also have to study general mammalian and plant biology, and some ecological and evolution based topics on a general scale.

Biomedsci is just a specific subset of biosci. Generally if you're interested in human biology and medicine, a general biosciences course will end up having too much unrelated stuff (like I think most require at least 1 course in ecology in the US, although I don't know if this is an accreditation thing or just a common theme).

You'll probably end up doing more chemistry, biochemistry and molecular biology in a biomedsci course (possibly specifically revolving around human biology and medicine bu not necessarily) whereas these would probably be somewhat more ancillary topics in a general biosciences course.

Consider why you're interested in any courses in the biological regime in the first place, and you'll probably find your answer quite quickly.

9. Sep 13, 2015 #8
    Thank you!

10. Sep 13, 2015 #9
    Do colleges offer biology as a course? Most places I've looked at have biochemistry, molecular biology, biological sciences and biomedical sciences.

11. Sep 13, 2015 #10
    you'd prob want to start in biosciences of those 4, but assuming you're in the US, you can always just start taking biology classes in freshman/sophmore years then make up your mind after when you have a better idea anyway (and access to the university/department advisors)

12. Sep 13, 2015 #11

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

First year biology is a fairly common course. It's commonly required for medical school admission, so about 95% of first year science students tent to take it.

Or do you mean a biology "program?" In that case, the label may vary, but again, I would imagine that it's fairly common. Start by looking through the course requirements of the programs that you're interested in. Despite different program names there will be a lot of overlapping coursework. Then you can make choices based on the courses that you would be taking.

13. Sep 13, 2015 #12

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Purpose of question? General or maybe you are thinking of your not distant future choices?

If latter tell us whether you have a wide choice of University or similar Institutions to apply to.

How soon? Do you have to make choices of Course/Department etc. soon and how much flexibility to switch around later?

14. Sep 16, 2015 #13
    I meant a biology "program". Thanks, I'll look into it!

15. Sep 16, 2015 #14
    I'm thinking about my not so distant future choice. For a biology related course, I would say I have limited choice, most of which depends on whether or not I get a scholarship. In about a year or so I'll have to start applying, so that is pretty soon. There is not much flexibility to switch around later which is why I want to be clear on the difference between the multiple biology related courses offered by universities.

16. Sep 16, 2015 #15
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook