Biology Research: Prostate Cancer & FAS Metabolic Oncogene

In summary: The NCI SPORE Investigators Workshop is a bi-annual meeting for cancer research investigators. It is a great opportunity to network with other cancer researchers and to receive updated information on new cancer therapies.
Neo
Hey, is anyone conducting bio research? I myself am doing some research on prostate cancer -- trying to demonstrate FAS as a metabolic oncogene.

Please tell me about your projects and I think we can learn from one another.

Currently we are using transgenic mice in hopes to see a positive phenotype. FAS is mostly responsible for synthesizing phospholipids but also short fatty acids in general. The hypothesis is that in cancer, the proliferating cells require more phosopholipid synthesis for their membranes and therefore there is overexpression of fatty acid synthase (FAS) in prostate cancer.

Biology news on Phys.org
My master thesis title is "Acquisition of haemoglobin-bound iron by Histophilus somni"

Iron is an essential nutrient for virtually all living organism. Ferric and ferrous ions have great redox potential and ferrous (Fe2+) and ferric (Fe3+) is used by organisms to their benefit as a cofactor of many enzymes and as a component of the respiratory chain. The problem is that iron is not readily available at normal pH and in the present of oxygen. Iron is also toxic when it interacts with reative oxygen species. To counter these problems mammals have evolved serveral iron binding proteins. Therefore mammals tissues is poor in iron and cannot support the growth of any pathogens. Bacteria have solve this problem by evolving numerous strategies such as siderophores, transferrin receptors and haem and haemoglobin receptors.

My research is to look at haemoglobin receptor. I had to characterize the ability of H. somni to acquire iron from Hb. My project included sequencing of the potential genes, identifying the protein receponsible for the ability, doing growth curves and to look at the regulation of the gene(s).

My PhD project should be the "characterization of two components regulatory systems in Streptococcus mutants".

Very interesting. Do you know Richard Feynman? He won the Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on QED...the idea of antiparticles traveling backward in time.

Anyway, he wrote this:
“The internal machinery of life, the chemistry of the parts, is
something beautiful. And it turns out that all life is interconnected with all
other life. There is a part of chlorophyll, an important chemical in the
oxygen processes in plants, that has a kind of square pattern; it is a rather
pretty ring called a benzine ring. And far removed from the plants are
animals like ourselves, and in our oxygen containing systems, in the blood,
the hemoglobin, there are the same interesting and peculiar square rings.
There is iron in the center of them instead of magnesium, so they are not
green but red, but they are the same rings."

iansmith said:
My master thesis title is "Acquisition of haemoglobin-bound iron by Histophilus somni"

My PhD project should be the "characterization of two components regulatory systems in Streptococcus mutants".

So you are aiming for a PhD in molecular biology? Where are you doing research right now? I'm currently an undergrad doing research at Harvard aiming for a MD. I want to ultimately become a physician-scientist.

My undergrades and master was done at McGill University. My PhD will be done at Dalhousie University in Halifax.

Are you familiar with the NCI SPORE Investigators Workshop? I recently presented at the 12th Workshop at the Marriott Waterfront in Baltimore, MD.

Related to Biology Research: Prostate Cancer & FAS Metabolic Oncogene

1. What is prostate cancer?

Prostate cancer is a type of cancer that develops in the prostate gland, which is a small walnut-shaped gland located in the male reproductive system. It occurs when abnormal cells in the prostate gland grow and divide uncontrollably, forming a tumor.

2. What is the FAS metabolic oncogene?

The FAS metabolic oncogene is a gene that plays a role in regulating the metabolism of fatty acids in the body. It has been found to be overexpressed in many types of cancer, including prostate cancer, and is thought to contribute to tumor growth and progression.

3. How is research being conducted on prostate cancer and the FAS metabolic oncogene?

Research on prostate cancer and the FAS metabolic oncogene is being conducted using various methods, including cell culture studies, animal models, and clinical trials. These studies aim to better understand the mechanisms underlying prostate cancer and identify potential therapeutic targets.

4. What are the potential implications of this research?

The research on prostate cancer and the FAS metabolic oncogene has the potential to lead to the development of new treatments for this type of cancer. It may also provide a better understanding of the underlying biology of prostate cancer, which could aid in early detection and prevention efforts.

5. How can I support research on prostate cancer and the FAS metabolic oncogene?

You can support research on prostate cancer and the FAS metabolic oncogene by donating to organizations that fund research in this area, participating in clinical trials, and spreading awareness about the importance of early detection and treatment for prostate cancer.