BIOMEDICAL APPLICATION- Heart Valve

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking advice on how to create a self-drawn graphic of an artificial heart valve design for a paper due on Thursday. The student is unsure about their ability to draw complex shapes and is feeling stressed about the assignment. A possible solution is provided in the form of a basic example graphic.
mazz1801

Homework Statement

Provide one self drawn graphic.
Topic: artificial heart valve design

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a second year biomedical engineering student and our professor wants us to provide one self drawn graphic for a paper that is due on thursday

We take classes in autodesk Inventor, but the things we draw are very basic brackets and other mechanical components. Nothing like the complex shapes of a prosthetic heart valve.

I would just like some advice on how to simplify one of these drawings to my level (basic), or how to avoid the task completely!

Any suggestions are welcome because I really have nothing right now and I'm getting quite stressed about it :( This paper is worth 60% of my mark

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: BIOMEDICAL APPLICATION- Heart Valve

1. What is a heart valve?

A heart valve is a specialized structure that controls the flow of blood through the heart. There are four valves in the heart: the tricuspid valve, the pulmonary valve, the mitral valve, and the aortic valve.

2. What are the different types of heart valve disease?

The different types of heart valve disease include stenosis (narrowing of the valve), regurgitation (leaking of blood through the valve), and prolapse (bulging of the valve into the heart's chambers).

3. How does a faulty heart valve affect the body?

A faulty heart valve can cause symptoms such as shortness of breath, chest pain, fatigue, and dizziness. If left untreated, it can lead to serious complications such as heart failure.

4. What are some common treatments for heart valve disease?

The most common treatments for heart valve disease include medication, minimally invasive procedures such as balloon valvuloplasty, and surgery to repair or replace the valve.

5. What are the latest advancements in heart valve technology?

The latest advancements in heart valve technology include the development of tissue-engineered heart valves, minimally invasive procedures using catheters, and the use of 3D printing for customized valve replacements.