Binomial Expansion: Solve Example & Get Help

• Thread starter RMHAZARD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of binomial expansion and provided an example of finding the coefficient of x cubed in the expansion of (2 + 3x)^5. The conversation also mentioned using Pascal's triangle and binomial coefficients to solve for the coefficient.
RMHAZARD
hi i have a whole page of bionomial expansion homework from as teacher and have never encountered it before here is an example of one of my questions could someone please show me how its done.

example:
find the coefficient of x (cubed) in the expansion of (2 + 3x) (to the power of 5)

i am completely stuck,

thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
x (cubed) in the expansion of (2 + 3x) (to the power of 5)

well that's kinda easy actually, just think of
(2 + 3x)[tex]^{5}[/tex] as (2 +3x)(2 +3x)(2 +3x)(2 +3x)(2 +3x)
so just multiply out using foil...looks like its going to take a while but I am assuming its just for practice and to get u into the mood of foil for other questions about functions

To solve (a+b)[tex]^{n}[/tex], Pascal's triangle may help you:
1 n=0
1 1 n=1
1 2 1 n=2
1 3 3 1 n=3
1 4 6 4 1 n=4
1 5 10 10 5 1 n=5
1 6 15 20 15 6 1 n=6
1 7 21 35 35 21 7 1 n=7
1 8 28 56 70 56 28 8 1 n=8

I've shown the first 9 lines, however, you can continue writing lines indefinitely. Every number is the sum of upper two. For example in n=3 line, 1 = 0 + 1, 2 = 1 + 1, 1 = 1 + 0. In n=4 line 1 = 0 + 1, 3 = 1 + 2, 3 = 2 + 1, 1 = 1 + 0 and so on.

Numbers in these lines coefficients for expansion of (a+b)[tex]^{n}[/tex].

(a+b)[tex]^{n}[/tex] can be expanded to Ca[tex]^{n}[/tex]+Ca[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]b+Ca[tex]^{n-2}[/tex]b[tex]^{2}[/tex]+...+Ca[tex]^{2}[/tex]b[tex]^{n-2}[/tex]+Cab[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]+Cb[tex]^{n}[/tex] where C are the coefficients from line n.

For example:
(a+b)[tex]^{3}[/tex]=a[tex]^{3}[/tex]+3a[tex]^{2}[/tex]b+3ab[tex]^{2}[/tex]+b[tex]^{3}[/tex]

To expand (2+3x)[tex]^{5}[/tex] we must take the coefficients from n=5 line =>
(2+3x)[tex]^{5}[/tex]=2[tex]^{5}[/tex]+5*2[tex]^{4}[/tex]*3x+10*2[tex]^{3}[/tex]*(3x)[tex]^{2}[/tex]+10*2[tex]^{2}[/tex]*(3x)[tex]^{3}[/tex]+5*2*(3x)[tex]^{4}[/tex]+(3x)[tex]^{5}[/tex] = 32+270x+720x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+1080x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+810x[tex]^{4}[/tex]+243x[tex]^{5}[/tex]

If I calculated correctly, than from this you can see that the coefficient of x cubed is 1080. I think that expanding the binomial this way is much easier than multiplying.

I hope that helps.

P.S. If you see the triangle with a straight angle, than look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_triangle" .

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get at this quicker through binominal coefficients: (3X+2)^5, the coefficient on x^3 will be 5!/(3!2!) = 10, but you have to consider the three on x and the 2 as well.

1. What is binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical process used to expand an expression with two terms, also known as a binomial, to a higher power. It involves using the binomial theorem to find the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

2. How do you solve a binomial expansion?

To solve a binomial expansion, you can use the formula (a + b)^n = Σ(nCr)(a^(n-r))(b^r), where n is the power of the binomial and r is the index of each term. You can also use Pascal's Triangle or the FOIL method to expand the expression.

3. Can you provide an example of a binomial expansion?

Sure, an example of a binomial expansion is (x + y)^4 = x^4 + 4x^3y + 6x^2y^2 + 4xy^3 + y^4. This expansion can be found using the formula mentioned in question 2.

4. What is the use of binomial expansion in real life?

Binomial expansion has many applications in real life, such as in probability and statistics, finance, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in a coin toss experiment or to model the growth of a population over time.

5. Where can I get help with binomial expansion problems?

You can get help with binomial expansion problems from your teacher, tutor, or from online resources such as math forums, tutorials, and practice problems. You can also use mathematical software or calculators to assist with the calculations.