1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biosystems Eng.: pasteurization system for peanut butter

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In recent years, there have been several significant outbreaks and recalls associated with Salmonella in peanut butter. One company has designed a thermal pasteurization system to reduce pathogen risk in peanut butter, in which the peanut butter is pumped through a heating tube and heated to 85degC (from an initial temperature of 15.6degC). You have been given values for peanut butter density (1,090 kg/m3) and specific heat (1.2 kJ/kgK). If the pasteurizer can deliver 47 kW of heating power, (a) What is the theoretical operating capacity of the pasteurizer (lb/h) of peanut butter? (b) What size storage tank (ft3) is needed to store one shift (8 h) worth of peanut butter for this facility?

2. Relevant equations
    V=m/ρ
    V=v.ΔT
    Q=m.C.ΔT
    W=J/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, I'm lost. I don't understand the first question and I don't know where to start. I would appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Deleted

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  4. Sep 21, 2016 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you start by determining how many kg of peanut butter can pasteurized in an 8-hour shift? You can always convert that to pounds afterward.

Things associated with answering that question:
    - What is the available Q over an 8-hour shift?
    - What is the ΔT required?

5. Sep 21, 2016 #4
    Hi I'm in the same class and don't know the answer either did you figure it out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted