Can WHO prevent a bird flu pandemic in Africa?

• Thread starter Sprinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary, the conversation revolves around the seriousness of bird flu and its potential to cause a pandemic. Some participants downplay the threat while others warn of its potential danger. There is also mention of previous outbreaks of similar viruses in different parts of the world. Some suggest that bird flu could be a solution to overpopulation, while others dismiss this idea. Overall, there is a mix of opinions and speculation about the virus and its potential impact. The conversation ends with a joke and a mention of a forum that was hacked, making it difficult to find information about previous outbreaks.
Sprinter
I think this is very serious, Africa is underddveloped, the people are lowly educated and might not be serious to fight H5N1, a pendemic is pending!
What WHO can do to stop it?:devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
Good news is maybe so many won't die from Aids anymore.

tribdog said:
Good news is maybe so many won't die from Aids anymore.

Always one to look on the bright side!

I don't see the fuss about bird flu anyway. Hell, I can shake off man flu, a bit of bird flu isn't going to get in my way. It's just a load of people looking for an excuse not to go to work.

Always one to look on the bright side!

I don't see the fuss about bird flu anyway. Hell, I can shake off man flu, a bit of bird flu isn't going to get in my way. It's just a load of people looking for an excuse not to go to work.

Bird flu is no laughing matter. Its very dangerous.

It will spread to USA and kill americans too, and OSAMA will be laughing!

......Okay.

...Shouldn't this be in Current Events?

Anyway, Bird Flu is very serious. If it mutates to be human-transmittable, it will cause a pandemic.

...Shouldn't this be in Current Events?

It is, it just takes back seat to more critical issues like the M.E. and Domestic Policy. It comes on the news after all the other stuff.

Sprinter said:
It will spread to USA and kill americans too, and OSAMA will be laughing!

Yes, I'm sure the bird flu is highly nationalistic and is currently plotting to attack america. We all know viruses target only countries they hate. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

I hear it only targets birds....better watch out pengwuino...

cyrusabdollahi said:
I hear it only targets birds....better watch out pengwuino...
he's right pengwuino. shut your beak

The world is over-populated, we need bird flu to wipe off 50% of the people!

ok, you first. :smile:

brewnog said:
Not all flu's are created equal. Some (like this one) have an abnormally high mortality rate. That's what causes the global pandemics that kill millions of people.

To put it in perspective, the flu is a virus. So to drive the message home, think of bird flu as not a bad cold, but as a deadly virus.

I remember hearing about the outbreak over there about a year ago which had already been going on for a couple years. Apparently it hasn't spread that far yet. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different outbreak?

Oh, maybe you were thinking about the thing in china a while back. What was that. I think that was SARS. I don't know if Bird flu is a mutational derivative of SARS.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Oh, maybe you were thinking about the thing in china a while back. What was that. I think that was SARS. I don't know if Bird flu is a mutational derivative of SARS.
No it was Bird Flu or something of the same family and it was in Africa. Unfortunately the forum I read about it on was hacked and all the old threads are gone. I'll have to see if I can find an article... The only easy finds are about ostriches. I swear there was H5NI or a cousin of it actually infecting people over there just about a year ago. Maybe it was eastern europe. I wish I could find the old articles.

TheStatutoryApe said:
No it was Bird Flu or something of the same family and it was in Africa. Unfortunately the forum I read about it on was hacked and all the old threads are gone. I'll have to see if I can find an article... The only easy finds are about ostriches. I swear there was H5NI or a cousin of it actually infecting people over there just about a year ago. Maybe it was eastern europe. I wish I could find the old articles.
Is that the one in South America? I read about that and how it destroyed Australia or was it Antarctica?

tribdog said:
Is that the one in South America? I read about that and how it destroyed Australia or was it Antarctica?

It destroyed Australia? Why didn't anyone tell me? Guess I'll have to find a new home.

yeah australia, maybe, no it was Fiji. yeah Fiji or was it mainland China. you'll have to ask statutoryape.

1. What is the likelihood of a bird flu pandemic occurring in Africa?

The likelihood of a bird flu pandemic occurring in Africa is difficult to predict. While there have been previous outbreaks of bird flu in Africa, the conditions for a pandemic to occur are complex and dependent on various factors such as the virulence of the virus and the effectiveness of containment measures.

2. What is WHO doing to prevent a bird flu pandemic in Africa?

WHO, along with other international organizations and local governments, is actively monitoring and responding to any potential outbreaks of bird flu in Africa. This includes surveillance and early detection of the virus, as well as providing technical support and guidance for prevention and control measures.

3. Can WHO stop a bird flu pandemic from spreading in Africa?

While WHO plays a crucial role in coordinating efforts to prevent and control pandemics, ultimately it is a collective effort that involves various stakeholders including governments, healthcare systems, and individuals. It is important for all parties to work together to implement effective measures and prevent the spread of the virus.

4. Are there any specific measures that can be taken to prevent a bird flu pandemic in Africa?

Yes, there are various measures that can be taken to prevent a bird flu pandemic in Africa. These include early detection and reporting of cases, implementing proper biosecurity measures in poultry farms, and promoting safe and hygienic practices when handling poultry products.

5. What should individuals do to protect themselves from a potential bird flu pandemic in Africa?

Individuals can protect themselves by practicing good hygiene, avoiding contact with sick or dead birds, and properly cooking poultry products. It is also important to stay informed and follow any public health advisories or guidelines issued by local authorities.