Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bird flu reaches Africa

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    I think this is very serious, Africa is underddveloped, the people are lowly educated and might not be serious to fight H5N1, a pendemic is pending!
    What WHO can do to stop it?:devil:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2
    Good news is maybe so many won't die from Aids anymore.
  4. Feb 8, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Always one to look on the bright side!

I don't see the fuss about bird flu anyway. Hell, I can shake off man flu, a bit of bird flu isn't going to get in my way. It's just a load of people looking for an excuse not to go to work.
  5. Feb 8, 2006 #4
    Bird flu is no laughing matter. Its very dangerous.
  6. Feb 8, 2006 #5
    It will spread to USA and kill americans too, and OSAMA will be laughing!
  7. Feb 8, 2006 #6
  8. Feb 8, 2006 #7
    ...Shouldn't this be in Current Events?

Anyway, Bird Flu is very serious. If it mutates to be human-transmittable, it will cause a pandemic.
  9. Feb 8, 2006 #8
    It is, it just takes back seat to more critical issues like the M.E. and Domestic Policy. It comes on the news after all the other stuff.
  10. Feb 8, 2006 #9

Gold Member

Yes, i'm sure the bird flu is highly nationalistic and is currently plotting to attack america. We all know viruses target only countries they hate. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
  11. Feb 8, 2006 #10
    I hear it only targets birds.............better watch out pengwuino......
  12. Feb 8, 2006 #11
    he's right pengwuino. shut your beak
  13. Feb 8, 2006 #12
    The world is over-populated, we need bird flu to wipe off 50% of the people!
  14. Feb 8, 2006 #13
    ok, you first. :smile:
  15. Feb 8, 2006 #14

Staff: Mentor

Not all flu's are created equal. Some (like this one) have an abnormally high mortality rate. That's what causes the global pandemics that kill millions of people.
  16. Feb 8, 2006 #15
    To put it in perspective, the flu is a virus. So to drive the message home, think of bird flu as not a bad cold, but as a deadly virus.
  17. Feb 8, 2006 #16
    I remember hearing about the outbreak over there about a year ago which had already been going on for a couple years. Apparently it hasn't spread that far yet. Or maybe I'm thinking of a different outbreak?
  18. Feb 8, 2006 #17
    Oh, maybe you were thinking about the thing in china a while back. What was that. I think that was SARS. I dont know if Bird flu is a mutational derivative of SARS.
  19. Feb 8, 2006 #18
    No it was Bird Flu or something of the same family and it was in Africa. Unfortunately the forum I read about it on was hacked and all the old threads are gone. I'll have to see if I can find an article.... The only easy finds are about ostriches. I swear there was H5NI or a cousin of it actually infecting people over there just about a year ago. Maybe it was eastern europe. I wish I could find the old articles.
  20. Feb 8, 2006 #19
    Is that the one in South America? I read about that and how it destroyed Australia or was it Antarctica?
  21. Feb 9, 2006 #20
    It destroyed Australia? Why didn't anyone tell me? Guess I'll have to find a new home.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?