Black Holes and Charged Particles

In summary: For an outside observer, an event horizon appears as a point of no return, where objects falling in will seem to slow down and never actually cross the horizon. However, this is an idealized model, and in reality, the outside observer will see objects get closer and closer to the horizon, but never actually stop or cross it. The electromagnetic fields outside the horizon are determined by charges and currents in the past light cone, and the fields inside the horizon may originate from both inside and outside the horizon. Additionally, an inertial observer following someone falling into the horizon could maintain visual contact if the light signal reaches them after they have crossed the horizon. Overall, the concept of "outside observer" is dependent on how it is defined in relation to
So I guess the equation is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
dllahr said:
I think what Peter is saying is that you are interpreting r as a distance from a centre. It doesn't really have that meaning in black hole spacetimes, since it changes from a space like to a time like coordinate as r varies.

Ibix said:
I think what Peter is saying is that you are interpreting r as a distance from a centre. It doesn't really have that meaning in black hole spacetimes

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Ibix said:
since it changes from a space like to a time like coordinate as r varies

That's not the real reason, since that property depends on your choice of coordinates. The real reason is that the locus ##r = 0## is not a "point at the center of the black hole". If you look at a Penrose diagram of Reissner-Nordstrom spacetime, you will see that there are actually two timelike lines that both correspond to ##r = 0##, and they are both inside the inner horizon. In fact, in the maximally extended geometry, which we have to talk about if we talk about going inside the inner horizon at all, there are an infinite number of such pairs of timelike lines. And, for good measure, these timelike lines are not actually part of the spacetime at all; they are limit points that do not exist in the actual manifold.

dllahr said:

The equation is fine; it just doesn't mean what you think it means.

And with that, this thread is closed.