"Black" holes and "White" holes

• I
  • Thread starter petrushkagoogol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holes
In summary: No. Black holes are finite, while white holes are theoretical. White holes are a possibility according to the law of conservation of energy, but they are not a reality.
rollete said:
Well, the 'depth' of a point is infinite.
No, the depth of a point is zero.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The spatial precision of a point can be infinitely augmented (Planck length be damned). In other words, no limits to how small space can be parsed. That's 'depth' in a way, but one need not restrict the understanding of 'depth' to conventional tridimensional space.

Never argue with a layman!

rollete said:
The spatial precision of a point can be infinitely augmented (Planck length be damned). In other words, no limits to how small space can be parsed. That's 'depth' in a way, but one need not restrict the understanding of 'depth' to conventional tridimensional space.

Never argue with a layman!
One needs to restrict the usage of terms here at PF to the standard convention used in science and engineering, otherwise you cannot have a meaningful discussion without pages and pages of back and forth arguing over what some term means. That's not helpful when people are trying to learn mainstream science.

In standard science and math a single point has no dimension and cannot have 'depth'. Furthermore, the division of space into smaller and smaller sections has absolutely nothing to do with depth unless you shoehorn some abstract meaning into it. Please don't do that.

Likes davenn
There are good reasons to believe there is a limit to how small something can be and stiill be something - e.g., HUP.

rollete said:
Party poopers with no sense of humor.

Get to it, then! Send a camera into a black hole for me. I will throw a party in your honor and gift you with whatever you wish.

Likes hsdrop
A white hole is a time-reversed black hole. In classical kinematics and relativity, you can take any solution and time-reverse it and get another solution. But once you include thermodynamics, you see that most time-reversed solutions are not allowed. So, there's no reason to believe white holes exist.

Likes hsdrop
ok that makes a lot more sense to me once you explain how the math and the numbers for it worked I didn't start the thread but thank you :bugeye: