Calculating Losses for a Blackbody Heater and Infrared Sensor Geometry

In summary, an infrared sensor with an area of .1mm2 is suspended 0.1m above a blackbody heater of diameter .05m. The sensor absorbs all thermal infrared radiation produced by the blackbody heater. There are losses for the geometry, and the attempt at a solution found that the view factor for this geometry is r2 / (d2 + A2). If source 1, area A1, illuminates area 2, and the view factor is F12, then the light reaching 2 is σA1F12.
Natalie Johnson

Homework Statement

At room temperature, an infrared sensor with an area 0.1mm2 is suspended 0.1m above a disc that is a blackbody heater of diameter 0.05m . The infrared detector absorbs all thermal infrared radiation (0.2 - 100 microns) produced by the blackbody heater. What are the losses for the geometry. You may assume the detector acts as a blackbody.

Homework Equations

Emittance from blackbody = σT4
Irradiance of infrared at detector = σT4

The Attempt at a Solution

All I have found is the view factor for this geometry is
r2 / ( d2 + A2)
Where r is radius of blackbody heater and d is the distance from the detector.
And I found it here
http://webserver.dmt.upm.es/~isidoro/tc3/Radiation View factors.pdf

I have read that irradiance is 1/r2 drop off but I don't understand how to implement this. Can someone share knowledge please.

Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Of the many cases listed at that link, which one do you think applies to your problem?
Hi. I know its a patch-disc setup which on arrangements gives the equation I wrote in the attempt. But I am not sure if this is correct, I just found this information on a google search. What are the losses for something like this? Its quite difficult

Natalie Johnson said:
Hi. I know its a patch-disc setup
Why patch-disc rather than unequal discs? And which is the patch?

haruspex said:
Why patch-disc rather than unequal discs? And which is the patch?
Patch is the small sensor and the bb heater is the disc?

Natalie Johnson said:
Patch is the small sensor and the bb heater is the disc?
Ok, but the formula at the link gives you the fraction of the emissions from the patch that would be intercepted by the disc. Your problem is the other way around.

haruspex said:
Ok, but the formula at the link gives you the fraction of the emissions from the patch that would be intercepted by the disc. Your problem is the other way around.
I assume you are still stuck.

If source 1, area A1, illuminates area 2, and the view factor is F12, then the light reaching 2 is σA1F12. But light paths are all reversible, so if we switch source and sink then the light reaching 1 from 2 is the same.
This leads to the general equation A1F12=A2F21.
Use that to find the formula for illuminating the patch from the disc.

By the way, I am almost sure that the formula at that link for two unequal discs is wrong, but I do not know what it should be.

Last edited:

What is a blackbody heater?

A blackbody heater is a device that radiates energy at a constant rate and at a specific temperature. It is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation.

What is a sensor in relation to a blackbody heater?

A sensor is a device that measures the amount of energy emitted from a blackbody heater. It detects changes in temperature and converts them into an electrical signal.

How does a blackbody heater work?

A blackbody heater works by heating up a filament with an electric current until it reaches a specific temperature. This filament then emits radiation at a constant rate, which can be measured by a sensor.

What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law and how does it relate to a blackbody heater?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law states that the total amount of energy emitted by a blackbody is directly proportional to its temperature raised to the fourth power. This means that as the temperature of a blackbody heater increases, the amount of energy it emits also increases.

What are some practical applications of a blackbody heater and sensor?

Blackbody heaters and sensors are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, food processing, and scientific research. They can be used to maintain a constant temperature in industrial processes, measure the thermal properties of materials, and study the behavior of gases at different temperatures.