Dealing with College Credit Grades from High School: Options?

• Thread starter yUNeeC
  • Start date
In summary, the student is asking if they can retake the classes, and the response is that they can't retroactively change the grades, but they may have other options depending on the school's process.
yUNeeC
Well, tonight I was looking at my transcript and I realized something. The college courses I took in high school are listed...with the grades I made. This has me feeling that graduate schools will be looking at these scores (A, B, and a C)...and while they aren't terrible, they are in no way a reflection of what I can do. During HS I goofed off - I didn't know these grades could come back to haunt me (they pull my 3.73 down to a 3.56).

I received college credit for 2 of these three courses (the B [sociology] and the C [psychology]) and was wandering if someone could verify if these grades will be looked at? I really don't care if they are weighed heavily or not...because it's dragging my GPA down and it's kind of a kick below the belt.

If they are counted, can I go to my college and ask that this part of my transcript be done away with, even though I'll have to take these two courses again?

I need to know if I have any options.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch.

Good luck with that one, dude. That sounds like a bad situation.

I suppose that you could always petition to have those classes stricken from your record... then again, that may affect other aspects of your history.

I'm interested to hear what other people suggest. I'd say this: just sit on it, and be ready to explain it if anybody asks.

Ask if you can retake the classes.

For heaven's sake - this is a class he took in high school. Grad school admissions committees are not worried about that.

What's next? Hmmm...I see a "doesn't always color within the lines" on his kindergarten report card. Maybe he's just not suited for graduate school.

Vanadium 50 said:
What's next? Hmmm...I see a "doesn't always color within the lines" on his kindergarten report card. Maybe he's just not suited for graduate school.

:rofl:

I think some of my professors would write "doesn't always color within the lines" in my recommendation letters for grad school. :biggrin:

Vanadium 50 said:
For heaven's sake - this is a class he took in high school. Grad school admissions committees are not worried about that.

It's not just the graduate school thing...it's my overall transcript and GPA. What's so wrong about not wanting HS ******** to follow you around, especially when you've changed your work ethic so much since that time? I thought I had all of this mess behind me, now it appears that I don't. I was never told that these grades would affect me in college...

How do I go about doing said petition?

^ Well, it's obviously going to depend on your school's specific process, but there are people whose job it is to deal with this kind of stuff. Worst case scenario, you ask them to rescind your high school-based credit, and any requirements those classes may have fulfilled will have to be retaken. I can't see how they could deny this request. However, you may have some other options. For example, if your school has Pass/Fail grading, then they might be willing to retroactively change those grades to Pass/Fail. But yeah, you should definitely ask. I do think it's strange that they consider high school credit in calculating GPA.

Well, I emailed the Registrar asking if I had any options in getting these courses wiped from my transcript...this was his response:

"Unfortunately no; East Carolina's policy is to transfer any transferable course when reviewing transcripts from other institutions. To not include one in your admission materials would have constituted fraud, and your admission could be rescinded.

ECU does not use the transfer grades towards your institutional GPA; those grades are included towards graduation with a degree of distinction.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office, or the office of Undergraduate Admissions."

Does this mean I can't go the petition route and that I should just accept it and let it go?

Sounds like an "accept it and let it go".

Just be ready to explain it away.

What options do I have for dealing with my college credit grades from high school?

There are several options for dealing with college credit grades from high school:

• Accept the grades as they are and use them towards your college GPA.
  • Retake the courses in college to improve your grades.
  • Request the grades to be removed from your college transcript.
  • Transfer the credits to a different college or university.
  • Discuss the options with your academic advisor for personalized advice.

Will my college credit grades from high school affect my college GPA?

Yes, college credit grades from high school will typically be included in your college GPA unless you request for them to be removed or retake the courses for a better grade.

Can I transfer my college credit grades from high school to a different college or university?

Yes, most colleges and universities will accept transfer credits from other institutions. However, the specific requirements for transfer credits vary by school, so it's important to check with the school you plan on transferring to.

Can I request to have my college credit grades from high school removed from my college transcript?

Yes, you can request to have your college credit grades from high school removed from your college transcript. However, this process varies by school and may have certain requirements, such as retaking the courses or completing a certain number of credits at the new institution. It's best to check with your academic advisor for guidance.

Will retaking the courses in college replace my college credit grades from high school?

It depends on the policies of your college or university. Some schools will replace the original grades with the new ones, while others may average the two grades. It's important to check with your academic advisor for the specific policies at your institution.