1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blast from the Past.

  1. May 11, 2009 #1
    Well, tonight I was looking at my transcript and I realized something. The college courses I took in high school are listed...with the grades I made. This has me feeling that graduate schools will be looking at these scores (A, B, and a C)...and while they aren't terrible, they are in no way a reflection of what I can do. During HS I goofed off - I didn't know these grades could come back to haunt me (they pull my 3.73 down to a 3.56).

    I received college credit for 2 of these three courses (the B [sociology] and the C [psychology]) and was wandering if someone could verify if these grades will be looked at? I really don't care if they are weighed heavily or not...because it's dragging my GPA down and it's kind of a kick below the belt.

    If they are counted, can I go to my college and ask that this part of my transcript be done away with, even though I'll have to take these two courses again?

    I need to know if I have any options.

  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2

    Good luck with that one, dude. That sounds like a bad situation.

    I suppose that you could always petition to have those classes stricken from your record... then again, that may affect other aspects of your history.

    I'm interested to hear what other people suggest. I'd say this: just sit on it, and be ready to explain it if anybody asks.
  4. May 11, 2009 #3
    Ask if you can retake the classes.
  5. May 11, 2009 #4

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    For heaven's sake - this is a class he took in high school. Grad school admissions committees are not worried about that.

    What's next? Hmmm....I see a "doesn't always color within the lines" on his kindergarten report card. Maybe he's just not suited for graduate school.
  6. May 11, 2009 #5

    Math Is Hard

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member


    I think some of my professors would write "doesn't always color within the lines" in my recommendation letters for grad school. :biggrin:
  7. May 11, 2009 #6
    It's not just the graduate school thing...it's my overall transcript and GPA. What's so wrong about not wanting HS ******** to follow you around, especially when you've changed your work ethic so much since that time? I thought I had all of this mess behind me, now it appears that I don't. I was never told that these grades would affect me in college...

    How do I go about doing said petition?
  8. May 11, 2009 #7
    ^ Well, it's obviously going to depend on your school's specific process, but there are people whose job it is to deal with this kind of stuff. Worst case scenario, you ask them to rescind your high school-based credit, and any requirements those classes may have fulfilled will have to be retaken. I can't see how they could deny this request. However, you may have some other options. For example, if your school has Pass/Fail grading, then they might be willing to retroactively change those grades to Pass/Fail. But yeah, you should definitely ask. I do think it's strange that they consider high school credit in calculating GPA.
  9. May 11, 2009 #8
    Well, I emailed the Registrar asking if I had any options in getting these courses wiped from my transcript...this was his response:

    "Unfortunately no; East Carolina's policy is to transfer any transferable course when reviewing transcripts from other institutions. To not include one in your admission materials would have constituted fraud, and your admission could be rescinded.

    ECU does not use the transfer grades towards your institutional GPA; those grades are included towards graduation with a degree of distinction.

    If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office, or the office of Undergraduate Admissions."

    Does this mean I can't go the petition route and that I should just accept it and let it go?
  10. May 11, 2009 #9
    Sounds like an "accept it and let it go".

    Just be ready to explain it away.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook