Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bleached part of my favorite shirt

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I accidentally bleached part of my favorite shirt, it is/was a pale blue green color, how can i mix up some dye to match?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Re: Help

Wouldn't it be easier to bleach the whole shirt? lol.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3

negitron

Science Advisor

You're boned. It's very nearly impossible to reliably and seamlessly re-dye bleach spots.

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

That makes sense, as long as the new dye adheres to and covers the bleached area in the same manner that it does the unbleached parts. Maybe he should bleach the whole thing first to level the playing field, then dye it all the colour that he wants.

Hey, Negitron... you sneaked in on me. My response was to David.

6. Aug 22, 2009 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I thought i would have to re dye the whole shirt, it is just a matter of getting the right color dye, it is my favorite shirt and is about 20yrs old so you can tell i would hate to ruin it.

7. Aug 22, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It sounds like we've already passed the point of ruining it. Now you have to consider options. :tongue:

They sell a special dye remover that removes color more safely than bleach, then you can re-dye it whatever color you like.

8. Aug 22, 2009 #7

I say wear as-is

9. Aug 22, 2009 #8

When I do that, I use paint pens and color in a funky pattern. It mostly turns out ok, but it always says I bleached my shirt, buts its still too cool to toss out.:blushing:

10. Aug 22, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't help, but if you do manage to match the color I say bleach and re-dye all your other shirts that color. Then they can all be your favorite, and you can wear your favorite shirt -- a clean one -- every day!

11. Aug 22, 2009 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks for replies guys, for sure i am never going to clean my cooker wearing my favorite shirt again.

12. Aug 22, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Cut out the bleached part - then you won't have to worry about anyone noticing the bleached spot.

13. Aug 22, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Usually we save that sort of advice for tribdog.

I got as far as the shirt being 20 years old, and sort of chalked it up to something finally had to do it in, and maybe it's not really worth trying to save it. Just in the future don't wear good clothes when working with bleach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook