Bleached part of my favorite shirt

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
I accidentally bleached part of my favorite shirt, it is/was a pale blue green color, how can i mix up some dye to match?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


wolram said:
I accidentally bleached part of my favorite shirt, it is/was a pale blue green color, how can i mix up some dye to match?

Wouldn't it be easier to bleach the whole shirt? lol.
 


You're boned. It's very nearly impossible to reliably and seamlessly re-dye bleach spots.
 


That makes sense, as long as the new dye adheres to and covers the bleached area in the same manner that it does the unbleached parts. Maybe he should bleach the whole thing first to level the playing field, then dye it all the colour that he wants.

Hey, Negitron... you sneaked in on me. My response was to David.
 


I thought i would have to re dye the whole shirt, it is just a matter of getting the right color dye, it is my favorite shirt and is about 20yrs old so you can tell i would hate to ruin it.
 


wolram said:
I thought i would have to re dye the whole shirt, it is just a matter of getting the right color dye, it is my favorite shirt and is about 20yrs old so you can tell i would hate to ruin it.
It sounds like we've already passed the point of ruining it. Now you have to consider options. :-p

They sell a special dye remover that removes color more safely than bleach, then you can re-dye it whatever color you like.
 


When I do that, I use paint pens and color in a funky pattern. It mostly turns out ok, but it always says I bleached my shirt, buts its still too cool to toss out.:blushing:
 


wolram said:
I thought i would have to re dye the whole shirt, it is just a matter of getting the right color dye, it is my favorite shirt and is about 20yrs old so you can tell i would hate to ruin it.

Can't help, but if you do manage to match the color I say bleach and re-dye all your other shirts that color. Then they can all be your favorite, and you can wear your favorite shirt -- a clean one -- every day!
 


Thanks for replies guys, for sure i am never going to clean my cooker wearing my favorite shirt again.
 


russ_watters said:
Cut out the bleached part - then you won't have to worry about anyone noticing the bleached spot.

:smile: Usually we save that sort of advice for tribdog.

I got as far as the shirt being 20 years old, and sort of chalked it up to something finally had to do it in, and maybe it's not really worth trying to save it. Just in the future don't wear good clothes when working with bleach.