1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block Colliding with a Spring - Help Appreciated

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A moving 1.90 kg block collides with a horizontal spring whose spring constant is 237 N/m.

The block compresses the spring a maximum distance of 13.00 cm from its rest position. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface is 0.430. What is the work done by the spring in bringing the block to rest?

How much mechanical energy is being dissipated by the force of friction while the block is being brought to rest by the spring?

What is the speed of the block when it hits the spring?

2. Relevant equations
    ∆K+∆U=∆E

3. The attempt at a solution
    Work done by spring = ½ * 0.430 * 0.13 ^2 and many other assorted things. None of which has been correct. Simply put, I've been firing at it in the dark.

Where do I need to start?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

tms

You have left out the loss to friction.

Start by drawing a diagram and identifying the forces on the block. Then use the kinematics equations.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    That makes sense, I just solved it all.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook