1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on a slope, friction related

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    A 300kg block is sitting on a slope of 20 degrees, the coeff of friction is 0.75, if the block is connected to a mass hanging vertically via a pulley, what is the mass of the hanging block such that it will overcome friction but not move the block

F = mgsin20 for the force acting down the slope
    F = mgcos20 for the force acting perpendicular to the slope

Have attached a PDF of my attempt, but basically I found the force acting down the slope and then used this as the force in my next equation to calculate the mass,

Getting a result of 384kg, I now realise I havent properly taken friction into account and im unsure of how to do this.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2
    In your attempt you've added the two vector components together as if they are scalar quantities ie 1006 + 2765 = 3771. I suggest you draw a free body force diagram for the 300kg block. Are we to assume it is on the point moving upwards?

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    Indeed, got another solution ill upload in a minute

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4
    For some reason the scanner isnt working, but basically i found the force required to in effect keep the block on the slope still, using

F = mgsin20 + umgcos20

and from this force i used m=F/g to get the mass of the block, 314kg.... this seem right ?

6. Jan 16, 2013 #5
    Could someone maybe run through this and tell me if they get a matching 314kg for the other block? thanks

7. Jan 16, 2013 #6
    Have uploaded a new file with my method, anyone comment please?

Attached Files:

8. Jan 16, 2013 #7
    Well...you should draw all the forces and components acting on the block and also show clearly your reasoning. Otherwise your calculations are correct.:smile:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook