1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block slides down hemisphere; time to leave surface?

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    A block is at rest at the top of a frictionless hemisphere of radius r. It is slightly disturbed at starts sliding down. I already know where it will leave the surface (height = 2r/3). My question is, WHEN will it leave the surface?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've obviously got an expression for angular velocity if you've determined "the where." Integrate it.

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    I've got v as a function of theta: v = (2gr(1-cos(theta))^0.5. So now I integrate with respect to TIME? How?

5. Dec 23, 2014 #4

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Expanding what Bystander said (in case you're not familiar with angular velocity)
    [tex]v=\frac{ds}{dt}=r\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]
    in which ds is an increment of arc length. r is, of course, a constant.
    You can substitute this value for v into your equation, then separate variables.
    If I'm not interested in the challenge of the integration I sometimes use the Wolfram on-line integrator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook