How much does the BMW 5 series cost in the USA compared to Malaysia?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary: BMW or Mercedes?)In summary, it costs about 350,000 ringgit (USD 100,000)in Malaysia, how much is it in the United States? people like me, a lecturer, has no chance to buy one!
Saint
it costs about 350,000 ringgit (USD 100,000)in malaysia, how much is it in USA?
people like me, a lecturer, has no chance to buy one!

I drive Proton Wira, national car, cost about 10,000 USD.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chalk me up with one of the poor souls unable to indulge in such luxury. I couldn't see spending that much on a car unless I was a millionaire.

http://www.rtl.nl/automotor/rtlautowereld/rijtesten/bmw_5.xml

520i: €46.750 = $54,561
530i: €54.500 = $63,606
530d: €56.350 = $65,765

(1 € = 1.16709 $)

Btw, did you know that all (well, almost) Dutch taxi cabs are Mercedez-Benz? The luxury! You pay the price though, when you need the ride..

Originally posted by Monique
http://www.rtl.nl/automotor/rtlautowereld/rijtesten/bmw_5.xml

Btw, did you know that all (well, almost) Dutch taxi cabs are Mercedez-Benz? The luxury! You pay the price though, when you need the ride..

Is that why they have all those 'free to ride' white bicycles in Amsterdam - for those who can't afford the taxis?

Mostly because that is the best way to get around the city I guess.. they now also have taxi-bicycles :) one guy will sit in front and power the thing and two people can sit in the back, mostly I tourist thing though.

Malaysia sucks for imposing such high tariffs.

Saint, are you planning on purchasing a new car? If so, is $10k US around your limit. If this is your budget, then I would go with a honda, toyota, or buy another proton.

A luxury car in the US, usually starts at $30k US. If you do have the opportunity to buy or test drive a bmw, it is an amazing ride. The handling and acceleration are spectacular. When you first try to drive, you'll be pulled back in your seat because the pedal is so sensitive.

I had many friends with honda civics, and they where good cars. Personally, I had a toyota and it was a reliable car.

Originally posted by dduardo
Malaysia sucks for imposing such high tariffs.

Saint, are you planning on purchasing a new car? If so, is $10k US around your limit. If this is your budget, then I would go with a honda, toyota, or buy another proton.

A luxury car in the US, usually starts at $30k US. If you do have the opportunity to buy or test drive a bmw, it is an amazing ride. The handling and acceleration are spectacular. When you first try to drive, you'll be pulled back in your seat because the pedal is so sensitive.

I had many friends with honda civics, and they where good cars. Personally, I had a toyota and it was a reliable car.

our government imposes 200% tax on imported cars, therefore it is so costly that only businessmen can afford to buy it!
I can only rent it from AlvisRentaCar!

A 7-series BMW cost about 700,000 ringgit (~200,000USD),
!

In malaysia,
Honda accord costs USD50,000
Jaguar costs USD230,000.
Honda Prelude (sporty) USD 55000
Lotus Elise USD 60,000
Scary!

Mercedes has almost the same price as BMW.

Saint, you want an import? How about a slick new 92 saab9000? It only has 210,000miles. This things a steal for anything under, oh...$35,000? I originally didn't want to let it go for anything under $60,000, but for you I'm willing to bend.

If your interested leme know soon, this things hot! I've lost count of how many offers it's gotten.

Saint, I guess its time to move to another country then. I can't believe a jaguar would cost 230k USD. What model is it. In the US you can get a jaguar x-type for 30k USD or an s-type for 45k USD.

I'm starting a fund to purchase an aston martin vantage. If anyone is willing to donate you can email me. Hopefully you guys will generous enough I can buy one when I'm 25 or so. The car is a mere 200k USD. Or maybe I should just wait until I am 40 and get a maclaren f1 for 1 million USD.

Last edited:
I've test driven a Jag X-type don't waste your money. You can get the same ride from a 20k mid range car. BMW's and Mercedes are naturally cheaper in europe. Stick with hondas and toyotas. Those little cars run forever. And Duardo, if you're shooting for a DB7, you'd better start playing the lotto. What are they? About 200K last I checked? Why not shoot for a ferrari or a rolls? Better yet, just shoot for the Maybach- now THAT's a car:wink: Will set you back a cool half a mill

Mercedes an BMWs are nothing but status symbols. I can get get the same quality from a 20K car as with a 40-50K car. (can you tell I can't afford one?;)

Buy a Lotus Elise...*grins*

Maybe you can try raising money by modifying peoples pictures by mail..

And yes, BMWs are amazing, my family had one for a couple of years and it is like sitting in an airplane (without the turbulance) the ride is so smooth! The acceleration is really nice too, as well as the steering. Now we have a car I can't even remember the name of *thinks real hard* Volvo! Thats it, a volvo :)

I once almost owned the following car, from Citroen:
http://www.beaucars.nl/classic/ZJ-XB-98.jpg
The roof can be taken off :) can't imagine driving that one in the States, the cars over there are monstrous! :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercedes an BMWs are nothing but status symbols. I can get get the same quality from a 20K car as with a 40-50K car. (can you tell I can't afford one?;)

Are you crazy? Having recently started working for Mercedes i can assure you that if you buy a brand new Mercedes then you will be amazed by just how luxurious there are, the ride is incredibly smooth and the steering is quality, the acceleration isn't too bad either. I am not sure about the BMW's but they can't be much worse or better than Mercedes.

Originally posted by Andy
I am not sure about the BMW's but they can't be much worse or better than Mercedes.

I have a BMW 3 series and the accleration is very good, especially on the highway when i switch from automatic to sports to manual with steptronic.

My parents have a jaguar s-type, but i don't like it because the handling is junk. It feels like your driving a bus. There is barely any feedback from the steering wheel. I prefer a stiffer wheel, where i can feel the turns, which the BMW does. It makes driving fun.

[edit] Monique, i don't know if you've seen Mr. Bean, but you should look into purchasing the blue 3 wheeled car.

Last edited:
Originally posted by dduardo
I have a BMW 3 series and the accleration is very good, especially on the highway when i switch from automatic to sports to manual with steptronic.

My parents have a jaguar s-type, but i don't like it because the handling is junk. It feels like your driving a bus. There is barely any feedback from the steering wheel. I prefer a stiffer wheel, where i can feel the turns, which the BMW does. It makes driving fun.

[edit] Monique, i don't know if you've seen Mr. Bean, but you should look into purchasing the blue 3 wheeled car.
If I have seen Mr. Bean?? I grew up with Mr. Bean!

If I have seen Mr. Bean?? I grew up with Mr. Bean!

Have you seen rowan atkinson live. It is just hilarious. I liked the sketch where he acts like a king with a physical defect.

Also, do you have the Whole Bean Dvd Collection. Maybe that's what you could buy with the 100 euros.

Are you crazy? Having recently started working for Mercedes i can assure you that if you buy a brand new Mercedes then you will be amazed by just how luxurious there are, the ride is incredibly smooth and the steering is quality, the acceleration isn't too bad either. I am not sure about the BMW's but they can't be much worse or better than Mercedes.

Ya well I don't need to feel like I'm driving on an airplane. I just want to get from one place to another.

The king with the physical defect.. you mean the one without clothes on? I know a better one (maybe because I am female :P) do you know the one where he goes to the beach (very small, tiny one) for a swim.. the beach is very private so he thought he would just change there to his swim suit. Turns out a guy is sitting there.. So he goes through this whole ritual trying to change to his swimming suit.. finally he just puts the thing on over his pants and somehow removes his longpants in a very decent but surprising way from under that. I thought it was so clever! Ofcourse the guy sitting there turns out to be blind :P

Never seen him live, I have seen most of his shows on television, that was a long time ago though.. have the whole X-files collection.. not atkinson.. maybe I should.. can't buy it in an electronics store though..

After getting my PhD, i may plan to get a teaching job in US colleges, then i will drive better car !

Monique, the king with the physical defect is in his live performance, not in the mr bean series. (http://video.reviewindex.co.uk/reviews_uk/B00004CMOP.html ) Unfortunetly, the production of the video has been discontinued and is hard to find, especially the american version.

The beach scene was very funny. I also liked the hotel scene where he gets stuck in between the old lady and old man in the stairwell.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://star-motoring.com/research/specs.asp?id=175

A Jaguar XKR coupe, costs 1.2 million ringgit, about 340,000 USD.

http://star-motoring.com/research/

ummm.. damn! That's more than most homes in the US cost- or a good percentage. Consider that only 30 percent of americans make more than 30K/year. If import taxes were that steep here, we as americans couldn't afford imports either. And umm.. even PHD professors barely clear 100,000/year- and that's with about 10-20 years experience. You couldn't afford a 300,000 auto even on that salary. Luckily the XJR's are about 98K US here.

I'd imagine in malaysia the per capita is not that good- based on what I know.

I personally think both Mercedes and BMWs are way over rated and ridiculously overpriced. My parents drives BMW X5 and the mercedes S420 and it sucks... the handling is too stiff and the accelerator is too sensitive,it makes me paranoid just driving that thing... (maybe it's my driving, i don't know) On top of that as if the manufacturers haven't charged you enough for the car, you have to buy their products and parts such as brakes to fix your car (which is way expensive compare to cheap japanese parts). Luxury cars are just unnecessary expanses...it's just to get your money out of your pocket for things you really don't need... well atleast that's how I feel.
I think I would rather get something like a Mini Cooper... they're efficient and the gas mileage I heard is great.

mini - cooper is owned by BMW

buy used, there are as many fools selling cars as buying, just stay away from dealers, and learn what to look for
my first BMW was 400 us$ a 65 1800 4 door. the last a 635 that I got for 4000

the hunt is 1/2 the fun

Very true. My brother worked for a Jaguar/Saab dealership and has driven all of the different luxery cars - there is a huge difference. Amazingly, according to him and many others, Saab cars are a blast to drive, more fun than the 3-series (except the m3 of course) and the C-class. Jaguars are more the classic luxery cars, you can barely tell you are driving.

How we got our BMW: my dad used to own a garage, his hobby? Going to a scrapyard, look around for a total loss car being 1 or 2 years old at the time of the crash. Pick one which doesn't have much engine damage, buy it and restore it in his free time. Then sell the current car for good money.

Originally posted by resa3535
My parents drives BMW X5 and the mercedes S420 and it sucks... the handling is too stiff and the accelerator is too sensitive,it makes me paranoid just driving that thing... (maybe it's my driving, i don't know)

I think its your driving. You probably don't have your foot in the right position. In the BMW you should have your heel touch the bottom of the pedal and accelerate by rotating your ankle forward, using your whole foot to provide the force. You are probable pressing the gas with your toes.

Personally I like the stiff handling. It gives me a sense of feedback and it is easy for me to "become one with the car."

I think I would rather get something like a Mini Cooper... they're efficient and the gas mileage I heard is great.

From what i have heard the mini coopers arent constructed very well at all and need a lot of work done on them almost as soon as you buy them. How can you not like an S-420? if you think its too powerful then drive it slowly. Its got a 4.2 litre V8 if i remember rightly, not sure because i ahvent done much work on these yet, its definitely a 4.2 litre engine, and has plenty of poke when you put your foot down, but you have to put your footdown to get it going. So i reckon its just you.

How we got our BMW: my dad used to own a garage, his hobby? Going to a scrapyard, look around for a total loss car being 1 or 2 years old at the time of the crash. Pick one which doesn't have much engine damage, buy it and restore it in his free time. Then sell the current car for good money.

Your post reminded me of an old Johnny Cash song (written by w. Kemp), One Piece at a Time:

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
An' went to Detroit workin' on a 'sembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

CHORUS
I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm going to ride around in style
I'm going to drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.

So the very next day when I punched in
With my big lunchbox and with help from my friends
I left that day with a lunch box full of gears
Now, I never considered myself a thief
GM wouldn't miss just one little piece
Especially if I strung it out over several years.

The first day I got me a fuel pump
And the next day I got me an engine and a trunk
Then I got me a transmission and all of the chrome
The little things I could get in my big lunchbox
Like nuts, an' bolts, and all four shocks
But the big stuff we snuck out in my buddy's mobile home.

Now, up to now my plan went all right
'Til we tried to put it all together one night
And that's when we noticed that something was definitely wrong.

The transmission was a '53
And the motor turned out to be a '73
And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone.

So we drilled it out so that it would fit
And with a little bit of help with an A-daptor kit
We had that engine runnin' just like a song
Now the headlight' was another sight
We had two on the left and one on the right
But when we pulled out the switch all three of 'em come on.

The back end looked kinda funny too
But we put it together and when we got thru
Well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail-fin
About that time my wife walked out
And I could see in her eyes that she had her doubts
But she opened the door and said "Honey, take me for a spin."

So we drove up town just to get the tags
And I headed her right on down main drag
I could hear everybody laughin' for blocks around
But up there at the court house they didn't laugh
'Cause to type it up it took the whole staff
And when they got through the title weighed sixty pounds.

CHORUS
I got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm going to ride around in style
I'm going to drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

(Spoken) Ugh! Yow, RED RYDER
This is the COTTON MOUTH
In the PSYCHO-BILLY CADILLAC Come on

Huh, This is the COTTON MOUTH
And negatory on the cost of this mow-chine there RED RYDER
You might say I went right up to the factory
And picked it up, it's cheaper that way
Ugh!, what model is it?

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile.

From what i have heard the mini coopers arent constructed very well at all and need a lot of work done on them almost as soon as you buy them. How can you not like an S-420? if you think its too powerful then drive it slowly. Its got a 4.2 litre V8 if i remember rightly, not sure because i ahvent done much work on these yet, its definitely a 4.2 litre engine, and has plenty of poke when you put your foot down, but you have to put your footdown to get it going. So i reckon its just you.

I really like the mini coopers, from what i hear their decent cars... I don't know I'm not a mechanic
I drive a grand cherokee that's a v8 and it is not as sensitive as the s420. I just don't like them...

The E-420 should be quite a bit lighter so that would make a difference on the sensitivity of the throttle.