Boatswans Chair pulley Question

• Thread starter Ryansf98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary: Continuous ropes have the same tension. When separate ropes meet at a pulley, their tensions sum (vector sum).
Ryansf98

Homework Statement

The question has been screenshotted, along with the given diagram. Basic stuff I know, but I can't seem to get my head around pulley systems. T
Screenshot (44).png

Screenshot (43).png

Homework Equations

F(net) = m ⋅ a(system)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the rope to be considered inextensible. Also, I understand that the tension must equal the weight of the man & chair, but beyond that I don't know how to break it down.

I labelled a reference frame with x being positive down.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ryansf98,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Ryansf98 said:
I understand that the tension must equal the weight of the man & chair
What leads you to that conclusion?

Have you made a free body diagram of the man&chair?

gneill said:
Hi Ryansf98,

Welcome to Physics Forums!What leads you to that conclusion?

Have you made a free body diagram of the man&chair?

I just read that over and now realize it doesn't make sense, as equal tension & weight would mean an acceleration of 0m/s^2 wouldn't it? What I meant was that tension must be equal throughout the rope.

Ryansf98 said:
I just read that over and now realize it doesn't make sense, as equal tension & weight would mean an acceleration of 0m/s^2 wouldn't it? What I meant was that tension must be equal throughout the rope.
Okay. Draw the resulting free body diagram for the man&chair.

gneill said:
Hi Ryansf98,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Thank you by the way! I've used it for sometime looking at existing threads, but I couldn't find an existing problem like this one so thought it'd be a good time to start my own account!

gneill said:

I done that, labelling F(down) as 200N + mg, => F(down total) = 887N.

Regarding the tension, I labelled T moving up from the man to the smaller pulley. Would that then split into 1/2T either way up the pulley, or would it remain T?

I also labelled T pointing up on the rope which the man pulls down on.

gneill said:

I realize I jumped a gun a little there as you only suggested a free body diagram for the man and chair. For this, I labelled mg down and T up towards the smaller pulley. Would I in fact insert 200 N here also?

Ryansf98 said:
I realize I jumped a gun a little there as you only suggested a free body diagram for the man and chair. For this, I labelled mg down and T up towards the smaller pulley. Would I in fact insert 200 N here also?
How many ropes attach to the man&chair? If each has a tension T, what's the net force upwards?

gneill said:
How many ropes attach to the man&chair? If each has a tension T, what's the net force upwards?

One rope attached directly to the man and chair, therefore T up? Also, would 200N be T, due to Newtons 3rd Law?

Therefore, Net Force Up = 200N?

gneill said:

In fact, there are 3 ropes above the man and pulley, therefore F(up) = 3T.

T = 200N as the man exerts this force down the rope and so the rope exerts this force up on him.

That means that F(net of the system) = mg - 3T, => 686.7 - (3*200) = 86.7N downwards.

F = ma, a= 86.7/70, => a = 1.24 m/s^2?

Ryansf98 said:
One rope attached directly to the man and chair, therefore T up? Also, would 200N be T, due to Newtons 3rd Law?

Therefore, Net Force Up = 200N?
No, there are two ropes connected to the man and chair: One he holds directly, one connected to the chair.

The one he holds has a tension T = 200 N. What's the tension in the other rope? (consider a FBD of the small pulley).

Ryansf98 said:
In fact, there are 3 ropes above the man and pulley, therefore F(up) = 3T.

T = 200N as the man exerts this force down the rope and so the rope exerts this force up on him.

That means that F(net of the system) = mg - 3T, => 686.7 - (3*200) = 86.7N downwards.

F = ma, a= 86.7/70, => a = 1.24 m/2^2?
Yes! That's much better!

gneill said:
Yes! That's much better!

So generally no matter what, each rope has a tension T throughout the system, even if the rope reaches a pulley and looks to go into 2 separate ropes?

Thanks for the help!

Ryansf98 said:
So generally no matter what, each rope has a tension T throughout the system, even if the rope reaches a pulley and looks to go into 2 separate ropes?
If the pulleys are massless and frictionless, then continuous ropes have the same tension. When separate ropes meet at a pulley, their tensions sum (vector sum).

gneill said:
If the pulleys are massless and frictionless, then continuous ropes have the same tension. When separate ropes meet at a pulley, their tensions sum (vector sum).

Makes sense. Again thanks for your help!

What is a Boatswain's Chair Pulley?

A Boatswain's Chair Pulley is a type of pulley system used to raise and lower a worker in a harness for tasks such as painting, cleaning, or maintenance on a ship or building. It is also known as a bosun's chair or boatswain's chair.

How does a Boatswain's Chair Pulley work?

A Boatswain's Chair Pulley consists of a seat attached to a rope or cable, which runs through a pulley system. The worker sits in the chair and is raised or lowered by pulling on the rope. The pulley system allows for smooth and controlled movements.

What are the safety precautions for using a Boatswain's Chair Pulley?

Before using a Boatswain's Chair Pulley, it is important to inspect all equipment for any signs of wear or damage. The worker should also wear a safety harness and be properly trained on how to use the pulley system. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and never exceed the weight limit of the pulley.

What are the benefits of using a Boatswain's Chair Pulley?

The main benefit of using a Boatswain's Chair Pulley is that it allows workers to safely access hard-to-reach areas for maintenance or repairs. It is also a cost-effective alternative to other methods, such as scaffolding or lifts. Additionally, the pulley system allows for easier movement and positioning of the worker.

Are there any alternatives to using a Boatswain's Chair Pulley?

Yes, there are alternative methods for accessing high or difficult-to-reach areas, such as scaffolding, scissor lifts, or aerial lifts. However, these methods may be more costly, require more equipment, and may not be suitable for all situations. It is important to assess the specific needs of the job before deciding on the best method to use.