1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boatswans Chair pulley Question

1. Apr 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question has been screenshotted, along with the given diagram. Basic stuff I know, but I can't seem to get my head around pulley systems. T
    Screenshot (44).png

Screenshot (43).png
    2. Relevant equations
    F(net) = m ⋅ a(system)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand the rope to be considered inextensible. Also, I understand that the tension must equal the weight of the man & chair, but beyond that I don't know how to break it down.

I labelled a reference frame with x being positive down.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Ryansf98,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

What leads you to that conclusion?

Have you made a free body diagram of the man&chair?

4. Apr 16, 2017 #3
    I just read that over and now realise it doesn't make sense, as equal tension & weight would mean an acceleration of 0m/s^2 wouldn't it? What I meant was that tension must be equal throughout the rope.

5. Apr 16, 2017 #4

gneill

Okay. Draw the resulting free body diagram for the man&chair.

6. Apr 16, 2017 #5
    Thank you by the way! I've used it for sometime looking at existing threads, but I couldn't find an existing problem like this one so thought it'd be a good time to start my own account!

7. Apr 16, 2017 #6
    I done that, labelling F(down) as 200N + mg, => F(down total) = 887N.

Regarding the tension, I labelled T moving up from the man to the smaller pulley. Would that then split into 1/2T either way up the pulley, or would it remain T?

I also labelled T pointing up on the rope which the man pulls down on.

8. Apr 16, 2017 #7
    I realise I jumped a gun a little there as you only suggested a free body diagram for the man and chair. For this, I labelled mg down and T up towards the smaller pulley. Would I in fact insert 200 N here also?

9. Apr 16, 2017 #8

gneill

How many ropes attach to the man&chair? If each has a tension T, what's the net force upwards?

10. Apr 16, 2017 #9
    One rope attached directly to the man and chair, therefore T up? Also, would 200N be T, due to Newtons 3rd Law?

Therefore, Net Force Up = 200N?

11. Apr 16, 2017 #10
    In fact, there are 3 ropes above the man and pulley, therefore F(up) = 3T.

T = 200N as the man exerts this force down the rope and so the rope exerts this force up on him.

That means that F(net of the system) = mg - 3T, => 686.7 - (3*200) = 86.7N downwards.

F = ma, a= 86.7/70, => a = 1.24 m/s^2?

12. Apr 16, 2017 #11

gneill

No, there are two ropes connected to the man and chair: One he holds directly, one connected to the chair.

The one he holds has a tension T = 200 N. What's the tension in the other rope? (consider a FBD of the small pulley).

13. Apr 16, 2017 #12

gneill

Yes! That's much better!

14. Apr 16, 2017 #13
    So generally no matter what, each rope has a tension T throughout the system, even if the rope reaches a pulley and looks to go into 2 separate ropes?

Thanks for the help!!

15. Apr 16, 2017 #14

gneill

If the pulleys are massless and frictionless, then continuous ropes have the same tension. When separate ropes meet at a pulley, their tensions sum (vector sum).

16. Apr 16, 2017 #15
    Makes sense. Again thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted