Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bode plot normalization process

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I have a 8th order s-domain transfer function that i would like to normalize for plotting a bode plot. The transfer function is in expanded form i.e. s^8 +s^7+s^6 etc.

i want to normalise the frequency f by frequency f0 such that s = j(f/f0) instead of just s = j2πf. the reason i want to do this is because i see some strange behaviour (asymptotes) if i plot the non-normalised version, so im hoping this will solve the problem.

the thing im unsure of is that, since my highest degree is 8 (in the denominator), is it as simple as dividing all the terms by (1/ω0)^8? is there some other methods that i can use since the transfer function is not one that is really simple to work with. (coefficients in the range of 1e-30)

OR

would i be extracting the 1/w0 factor out of my coefficients? i.e. if the term is 5s^2, would the normalised version be 5/(w0^2) s^2? (this compared to the above where i would have 5/(w0^8)s^2.

i suppose im also curious if we normalise the plot, does j(w/w0) still equal to s? why does this still work?

thanks all

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted