1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Body moving on an ellipse; find velocity, acceleration

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A body is moving on a trajectory [tex] \frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{y^2}{b^2} =1 [/tex] vith a constant speed [tex] v_{0} [/tex]. Find its velocity [tex] \vec{v} [/tex] and acceleration [tex] \vec{a} [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

As far as I know [tex] \vec{a} = \vec{a}_{\tau} + \vec{a}_{n} = \frac{dv}{dx}\vec{\tau} + \frac{d\vec{\tau}}{dx}v [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since v=const, [tex] \frac{dv}{dx}\vec{\tau} = 0 [/tex] and therefore [tex] \vec{a} = 0 + \frac{d\vec{\tau}}{dx}v = \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{\rho}\vec{n} [/tex] where [tex] \rho [/tex] is the radius. Since we are dealing with an ellipse, the radius is a function of x and y, but I don't know how to express [tex] \rho [/tex] as [tex] \rho(x,y) [/tex]

I think that I can express velocity and acceleration like this:
    [tex] \vec{v}=v_{0}(\frac{y}{b} , \frac{x}{a}) [/tex]
    [tex] \vec{a}=\frac{v^{2}_{0}}{\rho}(\frac{x}{a} , -\frac{y}{b}) [/tex]

If so far everything has been correct (although I doubt about it) the only problem is expressing the radius [tex] \rho(x,y) [/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2
    HINT;

If a body moves in an elliptical path,sum of its distances from two fixed points always remains constant..

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi raul_l! :smile:

What you need is a sensible parameter.

If you were told x and y as a function of time, you'd know what to do, wouldn't you?

Well, any parameter will do … though, of course, some make it more complicated than others.

Hint: the equation looks a lot like cos²θ + sin²θ = 1. So … ? :smile:

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    x=a*cos(t)
    y=b*sin(t)
    I get [tex] \vec{v}=(a*cos(t), b*sin(t)) [/tex] and therefore [tex] \vec{a}=(a*sin(t), -b*cos(t)) [/tex]

It has to be expressed as [tex] \vec{v}(x,y) [/tex] and [tex] \vec{a}(x,y) [/tex] however, so I have to express t as t(x,y) somehow. I'm not sure how to go on from here. I can think of the following: dt=vds where ds^2=dx^2+dy^2. How do I proceed?

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the right idea … but you should only use t for time, or you'll get very confused ("so I have to express t as t(x,y) somehow"). That's why I suggested θ. :rolleyes:
    Nooo … if (x,y) is X, then:

dX/dθ = (-a.sinθ,b.cosθ).

Now, you're told that speed is a constant, v°.

So you can get a differential equation for θ from:

v°² = (dX/dt)² = (dX/dθ)²(dθ/dt)² = … ? :smile:

(btw, an alternative useful parameter would have been the usual arc-length, s, since we know, in this case, ds/dt = vº.)

7. Apr 14, 2008 #6
    [tex] \vec{r}= (a*cos(\theta),b*sin(\theta) [/tex]

[tex] \vec{v}= \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] v_{0}^{2} = (\frac{d \vec{r}}{dt})^2 = (\frac{d \vec{r}}{d \theta})^2 (\frac{d \theta}{dt})^2 = (-a*sin(\theta),b*cos(\theta)^2 (\frac{d \theta}{dt})^2 [/tex]

[tex] v_{0}^{2} dt^2 = (a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)) d \theta^2 [/tex]

[tex] v_{0}t = \int{ \sqrt{(a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta))} d \theta } [/tex]

Is this correct? I don't know how to take this integral.

8. Apr 14, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi raul_l! :smile:

You don't need to take the integral. You're not asked to find r or θ in terms of t.

You're only asked for dr/dt and d²r/dt².

And you know what dθ/dt is.

So … ? :smile:

9. Apr 14, 2008 #8
    [tex] \frac{d \theta}{dt} = v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)} }[/tex] I still don't know what to do with this. :confused:

[tex] \vec{r}= (a*cos(\theta),b*sin(\theta) [/tex]

and therefore

[tex] \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = (a\frac{d cos(\theta)}{dt},b\frac{d sin(\theta)}{dt}) = (a\frac{d cos(\theta)}{d \theta}\frac{d \theta}{dt},b\frac{d sin(\theta)}{d \theta}\frac{d \theta}{dt}) = (-a*sin(\theta) v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)}},b*cos(\theta) v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 sin^2 (\theta) + b^2 cos^2 (\theta)}}) [/tex]

By substituting θ with arccos(x/a) or arcsin(y/b) I get

[tex] \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = (-a\frac{y}{b} v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 \frac{y^2}{b^2} + b^2 \frac{x^2}{a^2}}},b\frac{x}{a} v_{0} \sqrt{ \frac{1}{a^2 \frac{y^2}{b^2} + b^2 \frac{x^2}{a^2}}}) [/tex]

In order to get a I need d²θ/dt². How do I do that?

10. Apr 14, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ooh, that's messy. :frown:

The square-root can be simplified … [tex] \frac{ab}{\sqrt{ a^4 y^2\,+\,b^4 x^2}}[/tex] ! :smile:
    easy-peasy … d²θ/dt² = (d/dt)(dθ/dt) = [(d/dθ)(dθ/dt)]dθ/dt. :smile:

11. Jun 11, 2008 #10
    Ok, thanks a lot. That really helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?