Bogus Claim - Obama wants to implement Sharia Law

1. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So I was just told by a tea party/AM radio fan and work associate. Needless to say, I was shocked to hear that he really believes this!

Where is he getting this stuff? This seems to be one source of the claim - what a surprise, Glenn Beck is one of the top hits.

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/23372/

Is this the source? Perhaps some context is in order here.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Re: Obama wants to implement Sharia Law

I'm not sure about that one's context, but there has been numerous requests (and even successes) in Western Europe where Muslims are allowed to govern certain communities by Sharia Law.

Similar calls have been made in the US, most notably by the left in their attempt to be "tolerant". That's probably where this latest one comes from.

The implications of Sharia Law in the United States, even for a small group of people, are astounding. It would literally rip this country apart. If you knew all the things that have happened in recent times under supposed Sharia Law, you'd likely vomit. Some of the most vile things you've ever heard of.

4. CRGreathouse

CRGreathouse 3,682
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Obama wants to implement Sharia Law

This is clearly pure falsehood; why are we justifying this with a thread?

5. D H

Staff: Mentor

Context: The article you cited in the OP is from March 2009. Beck (along with others; this was apparently a short-lived wacko right meme) slung some conjured mud back that failed to stick to the target because the mud 100% pure fabricated mud.

Context: It's Glen Beck, for crying out loud.

6. russ_watters

Why are we discussing what some random radio show call in guest said? does this meet our quality guidlines?

Am I reading right: you heard a call-in guest say something provocative so you googled and found something somewhat similar that Beck said so you posted it?

7. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A bit of clarification added. The point is to understand the source and motivation for this latest Obamanation.

8. lisab

Got a source for this?

9. Gokul43201

Gokul43201 11,141
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This needs to at least be a reasonably widespread rumor in order to warrant discussing, don't you think? Is there any evidence that it is?

10. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He didn't come up with this himself. $100 says it was on AM radio during the last week - Rush, Lars, et al. A quick google gave a good number of related hits.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/09/daniel-pipes-accuses-obama-of-enforcing-sharia-law/

http://www.coachisright.com/hammas-...-sharia-law-taliban-style-burkas-and-slavery/

http://www.sodahead.com/united-stat...ow-can-we-stop-this-garbage/question-1216135/

http://cbs4.com/campaign2010/obama.muslim.poll.2.1888841.html

etc etc etc

11. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to add that my work associate isn't some gun-toten redneck driving a old beat up p/u with pit bulls in the back. This is a mainstream city guy.

12. What could that possible have to do with anything? What is the point of the thread, anyway?

Are you interested in debating whether or not the U.S. should implement Sharia law? Whether your friend is an idiot? Whether Obama is a Muslim? What Glenn Beck's motives are?

This thread seems like an obvious candidate for being locked for extreme nonsensical purposelessness in the third degree.

13. russ_watters

That's a blog-with-an adgenda, which is an unacceptable source for PF....and a quick read shows it also uses the same straw-man as you did in the OP: The title doesn't match the content they are using the title to criticize.
    Hey, you found a couple of random crackpots on the internet! Congratulations! But still unacceptable sources, even for the purpose of debunking.
    A news source that should know better than to use such a deceptive title. It implies that the poll asked and people responded that Obama wants to impliment Sharia law here in the US, which isn't true. What is actually in the poll is only tangentially related to the crackpot claim in the OP.

Perhaps it was an unintentional and unfortunate truncation, but I'm not sympathetic to such things.

14. russ_watters

It appears to me that Ivan is saying that the crackpot cited in the OP is a mainstream Republican for the purpose of claiming that a high fraction of mainstream Republicans are crackpots. Perhaps that's the purpose of this thread?

15. This seems to be the case...

16. How many posts does it take to unveil the obvious? :)

17. Char. Limit

Char. Limit 1,986
    Gold Member

The world may never know.

On the other hand, conservatives do tend to say wacky things... but then so do liberals.

18. We all say wacky things on occasion. I call it passion.

19. CRGreathouse

CRGreathouse 3,682
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can this thread be locked now?

20. Evo

When Ivan asked me to reconsider, I stepped back to look at it from the perspective of all of the crackpot claims being circulated on the internet about Obama.

I read a lot of news blurbs on yahoo (to keep up with what might be posted in the lounge) and the comments about Obama at the bottom of any article are just insane to the point that it makes me cringe. So, I do see the usefullness of a thread addressing this type of nuttiness.

Ivan, perhaps delete this thread and start over with a thread about the growing trend of rumor mongering about Obama? It has become somewhat of a disturbing phenomena.

21. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

And how to illustrate the insanity? None of the really disturbing crap is posted on sites that meet PF guidelines, and can't be linked to without risking trouble here. There is some truly insane stuff being flung around out there. The sad part is that some gullible people will believe it and repeat it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?