Bogus Claim - Obama wants to implement Sharia Law

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary: Are you interested in debating whether or not the U.S. should implement Sharia law? Whether your friend is an idiot? Whether Obama is a Muslim? What Glenn Beck's motives are?
lisab said:
Well they did confirm the number that are *not* going :wink:.

Seriously, when the president goes overseas they keep a lot of logistical things secret. Even things that don't seem sensitive, it seems. And it's not just that way for this president, but for every president in modern times. The press should know that, and stop asking questions they know can't be answered.
Oh gee, why can't we just post every move that the President makes and advertise all of his security information? That anyone would even question this is moronic.

I guess it's a compliment to Obama that since he isn't a major screw up people have to resort to nonsense in order to talk about him.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Oh gee, why can't we just post every move that the President makes and advertise all of his security information? That anyone would even question this is moronic.

I guess it's a compliment to Obama that since he isn't a major screw up people have to resort to nonsense in order to talk about him.

The thread is about a bogus claim.o:)

Gokul43201 said:
Aw, cheap shot. Naw fair.
Eh? I don't think so. I see you spending a lot post space on how nutty this or that TP or right wing conspiracy theory may be. That is fine, there are no shortage of targets there, but also essentially useless without some context from the other side of the political spectrum.

mheslep said:
Eh? I don't think so. I see you spending a lot post space on how nutty this or that TP or right wing conspiracy theory may be. That is fine, there are no shortage of targets there, but also essentially useless without some context from the other side of the political spectrum.
Then provide the context! A blanket assertion of someone else's kookiness without any supporting evidence is bordering on ad hominem. I think you'll find I have only made statements about people based on specific things they have said. I think you'll also find that I was objecting to the style of your response, rather than its truth value (of which I have no opinion yet).

Well, if the snopes debunking is correct, an 11-day trip of Bill Clinton cost 5.2 million dollars pr day (adjusted for inflation). He had then 1300 people with him.

Now, I would think the bulk of the money spent is to compensate the disruption of ordinary business is going to cause, rather than on aide salaries. (Perhaps I'm wrong??).
And such compensation would hardly grow linearly as a function of the number of aides, I would think it to be a strongly sublinear function.

Perhaps 7-8 million dollars pr day is a realistic assessment?

It is not quite 200 million, though..

arildno said:
Well, if the snopes debunking is correct, an 11-day trip of Bill Clinton cost 5.2 million dollars pr day (adjusted for inflation). He had then 1300 people with him.

Now, I would think the bulk of the money spent is to compensate the disruption of ordinary business is going to cause, rather than on aide salaries. (Perhaps I'm wrong??).
And such compensation would hardly grow linearly as a function of the number of aides, I would think it to be a strongly sublinear function.

Perhaps 7-8 million dollars pr day is a realistic assessment?

It is not quite 200 million, though..

Unless he's making promises along the way that will end up costing that much - what's a couple of billion in guarantees or subsidies for Obama?

D H said:
40 passenger planes carrying 2,000 people means only 50 people per plane. Party time! Let's make those planes jumbo jets (Boeing 747 capacity = 500 people)

I have seen the POTUS traveling around on a few occasions. Always with two 747's, callsigns: the Air Force One and the Luggage One.

Evo said:
Didn't you get the memo? There is no question that Obama is the worst President in the history of the United States.

Perhaps not the best source, but it has the direct quote I'm referring to: http://biggovernment.com/bshapiro/2010/06/10/bachmann-obama-worst-president-in-united-states-history/
Congresswoman Michele Bachmann is a rising star in the Republican Party, a true representative of the tea party spirit. She’s plainspoken, brilliant, and incisive. She’s running for re-election to the House in Minnesota. And today, I had the chance to pre-record an interview with Congresswoman Bachmann for my radio show, “The Ben Shapiro Show,”...

In the interview, Congresswoman Bachmann characterizes President Obama’s response to the BP spill as “infantile,” says he’s the worst president in American history, says he’s siding with the Islamic world against Israel. How’s that for guts!

Gokul43201 said:
Didn't you get the memo? There is no question that Obama is the worst President in the history of the United States.

Perhaps not the best source, but it has the direct quote I'm referring to: http://biggovernment.com/bshapiro/2010/06/10/bachmann-obama-worst-president-in-united-states-history/
I think this has the typo corrected.

In the interview, Congresswoman Bachmann characterizes President Obama’s response to the BP spill as “infantile,” says he’s the worst president in American history, says he’s siding with the Islamic world against Israel. How’s that for nuts!
:tongue2:

Gokul43201 said:
Then provide the context! A blanket assertion of someone else's kookiness without any supporting evidence is bordering on ad hominem. I think you'll find I have only made statements about people based on specific things they have said [...]
I assume (hope) you have a point about posting random, isolated instances of reckless or oddball behavior, beyond the specifics and verifiability of some particular instance? I https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2969135&postcount=841" you to make the point directly in the Tea Party thread. If your point is to draw attention to what you perceive is a distinguishable trend, then the burden of context is on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polk? Grant? Harding? Buchanan? Pierce? Surely any person with a reasonable understanding of US history would say that Obama couldn't *possibly* be the worst president.

CRGreathouse said:
Polk? Grant? Harding? Buchanan? Pierce? Surely any person with a reasonable understanding of US history would say that Obama couldn't *possibly* be the worst president.

Oh, come on... Polk wasn't that bad.

Char. Limit said:
Oh, come on... Polk wasn't that bad.

Actually, I tend to agree -- but he's not thought of well by many.

CRGreathouse said:
I suggest anyone who understands the definition of 'history' alone should have refrained from making such a statement 24 months into office, one way or the other.

mheslep said:
I suggest anyone who understands the definition of 'history' alone should have refrained from making such a statement 24 months into office, one way or the other.

Really? Ivan posted this on October 8, 2008

"Originally Posted by WarPhalange
If you're saying Obama will be the greatest president in your life, you are just accepting the fact that future presidents will be worse and just don't care. I don't understand that mentality. I don't know how old you are, but it's like you're just giving up.

(then Ivan posted) "I see Obama as a once in a lifetime leader; in any lifetime. But more importantly, he is the right man for this time. When was the last time that you saw 200,000 Germans waiving the American flag?

Keep in mind also that he is trying to get elected in the same country that elected Bush. He has to be a politician, as do they all. And there is no doubt in my mind that if Obama was white, there would have been no race at all. The fundamentals - the economy, etc - would normally demand a change of party; esp given such a talented candidate.

Here is your Zen moment: It is almost as if we had to suffer Bush and the calamity that follows, in order to get Obama.

I think you are scratching for pebbles when a boulder is under your nose. Don't allow discontent to blind you to greatness - or at least the potential for greatness.

I am 50ish. How old are you?"
"

WhoWee, I read and understand the quote but don't see your point. Would you explain?

CRGreathouse said:
WhoWee, I read and understand the quote but don't see your point. Would you explain?

Sure, I stepped back and looked at the premise of the thread (Bogus Claim). Then I read the post about rating Obama best/worst after only 2 years. Although he might now have more experience as President than he did Senator? Lastly, I compared it to an equally Bogus Claim by Ivan in 2008. The irony is wonderful.

By "Bogus Claim" do you mean his OPINION that he sees Obama will be a once-in-a-lifetime leader? I don't there there was any claim that it was a fact more than an opinion... It's not really ironic, but more a stretch of what we're using as "claim" as well as "bogus".
I don't see how a predictive opinion about the quality of an upcoming presidency can be later looked at as a "bogus claim" if said presidency maybe wasn't as influential... a long stretch.

When reading all of these political topics here on PF I really try hard to remain independent/center, and open-minded to both sides. Most of the time its not really the topics and facts that are presented that seem to be disagreeable with me, but rather the methods of debate. WhoWee, this is not a personal attack as you've posted quite a few things I've agreed with, and some that I haven't; and I'm glad there's some lively debate going on (moderated very well) from both sides; but I have to ask, do you really think this line of attack somehow progresses this topic?

Last edited:
The bogus claim about Obama and Sharia is a red herring. The relevant issue is about Sharia law entering Western civilization in general, a topic that is very real, hence (in part) the resolution in Oklahoma.

Last edited:
mheslep said:
The relevant issue is about Sharia law entering Western civilization in general, a topic that is very real, hence (in part) the resolution in Oklahoma.
I thought the resolution was considered crackpot? (from the article that was linked)

I assume most people had already heard about the lunatic NJ judge that let a guy off for assaulting his wife when the guy claimed he had that right under Sharia (since overturned). If Oklahoma is being a bit paranoid, the M. Gazette article was being overly cute, at least in its title.

Frm CIA Director Woolsey said:
"We must realize there is a major campaign in Europe to impose Sharia law and Sharia is beginning to be cited in a few U.S courts. It is completely incompatible with our Constitution," says Woolsey, who also says that he is not advocating interference with Muslims practicing their religion
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/28/oklahoma.sharia.question/index.html

mheslep said:
I assume most people had already heard about the lunatic NJ judge that let a guy off for assaulting his wife when the guy claimed he had that right under Sharia (since overturned). The M. Gazette article was being overly cute, at least in its title.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/28/oklahoma.sharia.question/index.html
I read the domestic violence case. The judge wasn't agreeing to implementation of sharia law, he was trying to abide by "freedom of religion", IIRC. I blame the abuse of the "freedom of religion clause". I seriously doubt that the people that founded this country ever imagined the ways in which this would be stretched and distorted to cover things they never even dreamt of.

Evo said:
I read the domestic violence case. The judge wasn't agreeing to implementation of sharia law, he was trying to abide by "freedom of religion", IIRC. I blame the abuse of the "freedom of religion clause". I seriously doubt that the people that founded this country ever imagined the ways in which this would be stretched and distorted to cover things they never even dreamt of.

+1. I'd add that I'm sure they envisioned different religions, as they were well-read and were no strangers to non-Christian faiths. Everyone cite's Jefferson's "separation of church and state "clause," but that's not what 1A's religious clause says: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Jefferson's "separation of church and state was merely in response to a minister's concern regarding governmental control of his church, and holds no more weight in law than anyone of any other President's letters or speeches given since the dawn of our country. Presidents do not make law, and "separation of church and state" is not law. It is, however, one of the most misused, airbrushed, and misapplied phrases in the history of the United States, so much so that when people learn that Thomas Jefferson opened up the Treasury building for church services, they're aghast in disbelief, thinking, "How can that possibly be?!" The answer lies in the fact that what's amiss is the misappropriation of Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists to support concepts never envisioned by Jefferson, and which both his actions and other words he wrote and spoke do not support.

This distortion has grown so extreme that people singing Chrismas carols near any of the moments in Washington D.C. are directed by the Park Service to stop (I know, as I was once so directed). Apparently, they've been told that allowing it would be "respecting an establishment of religion," despite the fact that the Park Service is neither Congress, nor do they make laws.

Should Sharia law ever be allowed to creep into U.S. law, that would most certainly be a gross violation of the First Amendment.

CRGreathouse said:
What did any of those Presidents do that was so significant as to qualify them for consideration as the "worst" President? According to my "reasonable understanding of US history", none of them stand out as important enough to be considered one of the worst (or best) by anyone's standards.

Al68 said:
What did any of those Presidents do that was so significant as to qualify them for consideration as the "worst" President? According to my "reasonable understanding of US history", none of them stand out as important enough to be considered one of the worst (or best) by anyone's standards.

Let me turn that around (as I'm presently too tired to coherently answer your difficult question): who would you list as candidates for worst (and best)?

CRGreathouse said:
Let me turn that around (as I'm presently too tired to coherently answer your difficult question): who would you list as candidates for worst (and best)?
Candidates for both this century would be FDR and Reagan. Which is which depends on whether you agreed with or opposed what they did. Both did significant things that many people loved while many others hated.

Polk, Grant, Harding, Buchanan and Pierce sound more like candidates for "most mediocre" than either best or worst. Just my humble opinion.

Al68 said:
Candidates for both this century would be FDR and Reagan. Which is which depends on whether you agreed with or opposed what they did. Both did significant things that many people loved while many others hated.

Polk, Grant, Harding, Buchanan and Pierce sound more like candidates for "most mediocre" than either best or worst. Just my humble opinion.
Worst is FDR? Not Wilson or Richard "wage and price controls, exploded regulation, exploded SS and Medicare spending, I am not a crook" Nixon?

mheslep said:
Worst is FDR? Not Wilson or Richard "wage and price controls, exploded regulation, exploded SS and Medicare spending, I am not a crook" Nixon?

What's wrong with Wilson? He kept us out of war until there was no other option.

Char. Limit said:
What's wrong with Wilson? He kept us out of war until there was no other option.
Horrendous, 18th century style bigot and wannabe totalitarian dictator.

E.g.:
The film http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_a_Nation" was released during Wilson's term; it glorified the Klan, it demeaned blacks and incited gang violence them. After Wilson watched the Birth of Nation at the Whitehouse,
with members of his cabinet, and their families. Wilson was reported to have commented of the film that "it is like writing history with lightning. And my only regret is that it is all so terribly true.

mheslep said:
Horrendous, 18th century style bigot and wannabe totalitarian dictator.

Source? I'd like to see some proof that he was a "wannabe totalitarian dictator".

Char. Limit said:
Source? I'd like to see some proof that he was a "wannabe totalitarian dictator".
That's my three word opinion of course, based on numerous writings and statements of Wilson.
http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=792":
Wilson said:
Men are as clay in the hands of the consummate leader.
More to come

Al68 said:

I'm not a fan of the corruption that came with the Pierce and Grant administrations; maybe this is less important for you. It's harder to judge the two you list: they made sweeping changes, possibly good and possibly bad, in response to their respective crises. Frankly, neither of their core policies worked particularly well, but it's difficult to say what might have happened if they hadn't tried.

Actually, 18th (or 19th)-century seems a fair description of Wilson. He had wide, sweeping (good) goals and plans, but they all seemed to to have a certain 'white man's burden' feel to them, a 'we can civilize the world' flavor. I like him, on the whole, but I can't disagree with that characterization.

mheslep said:
LOL. My list of candidates wasn't all-inclusive.

CRGreathouse said:
It's harder to judge the two you list: they made sweeping changes, possibly good and possibly bad...
Yeah, that was my point. FDR, for example, probably had more influence on the size and type of government we have today, both by his actions, and his influence over the judicial branch, than any other President this century. That should put him on everyone's short list for either "best" or "worst".

And while I do care about the corruption of other administrations, it pales in comparison, IMHO.