Boiling point and vapor pressure

In summary, boiling point is the temperature at which a liquid turns into a gas, and is affected by atmospheric pressure, intermolecular forces, and molecular weight. Vapor pressure is related to boiling point, and can be changed by altering pressure or adding solutes. Boiling point is important in scientific experiments for determining purity and properties of substances, and for separation and purification techniques.
sashankhrao
I am trying to understand the concept of boiling from a very fundamental perspective. Most textbooks say that: as a liquid is heated, it's vapor pressure increases. When the vapor pressure reaches the surrounding pressure(or atmospheric pressure at that point), then boiling occurs.

I agree with the above point.

My question is: when the vapor pressure reaches the surrounding pressure, what physically happens that allows vapor to form all through the liquid for it to boil.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure from inside the water is not much more than 1 atmosphere either. Seems reasonable to me.

1. What is boiling point?

Boiling point is the temperature at which a liquid changes into a gas. It is the point at which the vapor pressure of the liquid equals the atmospheric pressure.

2. What factors affect the boiling point of a substance?

The boiling point of a substance is affected by atmospheric pressure, intermolecular forces, and the molecular weight of the substance. Higher atmospheric pressure and stronger intermolecular forces lead to a higher boiling point, while a higher molecular weight leads to a lower boiling point.

3. How is vapor pressure related to boiling point?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by the gas molecules above a liquid surface. As the temperature of a liquid increases, the vapor pressure also increases. When the vapor pressure equals the atmospheric pressure, the liquid will boil at its boiling point.

4. Can the boiling point of a substance be changed?

Yes, the boiling point of a substance can be changed by altering the pressure or adding solutes to the liquid. For example, increasing the pressure will raise the boiling point, while adding solutes will lower the boiling point.

5. Why is boiling point important in scientific experiments?

Boiling point is important in scientific experiments because it can help determine the purity of a substance, as well as its physical and chemical properties. It is also used to separate mixtures and purify substances through techniques such as distillation.