Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bolted flange Joints load calculation

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    I'm joining a flange and a cap using 9 bolts with a steel gasket placed in a 'o' ring. To ensure that the joint is leak proof, I need to calculate the load distribution in the area between two bolts for a given torque in the bolt[please refer to the figure, where the lines indicate the area where I need the load distribution]. Whether the whole area is uniformly loaded or not. Can some one please help me on how to approach this calculation???:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    Correction:

I'm joining a flange and a cap [metal to metal contact] using 9 bolts with a steel gasket placed in a 'o' ring. To ensure that the joint is leak proof, I need to calculate the load distribution in the area between two bolts for a given torque in the bolt[please refer to the figure, where the lines indicate the area where I need the load distribution]. Whether the whole area is uniformly loaded or not. Can some one please help me on how to approach this calculation???

Also, how to determine if the number of bolts used are correct to provide a leak proof joint?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook