What is the significance of the number e in calculus?

• Thread starter JonF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, e is a special number defined as the limit of (1 + 1/h)^h as h approaches infinity. It has various definitions and representations, including as the base of the natural logarithm and as the constant in the derivative of the function e^x. It also has many important properties, such as being its own derivative and integral, and being necessary for rigorously defining the exponentiation process. Its value, approximately 2.718281, has significant significance in various mathematical concepts, such as the area under the inverse curve and the derivative of ax.
JonF
I just started calc 2. And my book defined e as the number such that: [tex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^h-1}{h}=1 [/tex] I’m having trouble picturing what e is. Is there another definition of e? Is a actual physical ratio, (like pi or the golden ratio) or is it just some random number?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
JonF said:
I just started calc 2. And my book defined e as the number such that: [tex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^h-1}{h}=1 [/tex] I’m having trouble picturing what e is. Is there another definition of e? Is a actual physical ratio, (like pi or the golden ratio) or is it just some random number?
For one, the exponential function [itex]f(x) = e^x[/itex] is the same as all of its derivatives (and anti-derivatives if you ignore the constant). There are other definitions for e, perhaps look it up at wikipedia and mathworld.

e = lim as h->infinity of (1+1/h)^h

Another popular version is:
[tex]e=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{i!}[/tex]

Thanks nate that was exactly what I was looking for, I can picture that one

But that's (the series expansion) only saying how big e is (2.718281...). It doesn't tell you anything more about why e is useful or interesting.

Last edited:
Other than the limits, and the mclaurin series, all i can think of at the moment is euler's (identity?)

e^(i*Pi) - 1 = 0

For a calc 2 perspective, you'll probably use all three.

Here's the easiest way to think of e.

d e^x / dx = e^x

The function is its own derivative (...and integral)

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
But that's (the series expansion) only saying how big e is (2.718281...). It doesn't tell you anything more about why e is useful or interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the function Exp(x) defined by:
[tex]Exp(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{i}}{i!}[/tex]
is necessary in order to rigourously define the exponentiation process in general (for example, to introduce the concept of an irrational number raised to an irrational exponent (I think this is the rational way to do it..)).

Besides, the sequence of finite series approximations to Exp(1) converges quite fast.
So, Exp(1) is perhaps a form of e worth mentioning.

Last edited:
The magic of e lies in this expression

[tex] \int ^e _1 \frac {dx} x =1 [/tex]

so the area under the inverse curve between 1 and e is exactly 1 square unit.

The point of [itex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^h-1}{h}=1 [/itex] is that it is easy to show that the derivative of ax is
[itex] (\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{a^h-1}{h})a^x [/itex].

Since [itex] \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^h-1}{h}=1 [/itex],
ex has the nice property that its derivative is just ex again.

Think of it this way: the derivative of ax is C ax where C is a constant (i.e. does not depend on x) the does depend on C. e is defined as the number for which that C is 1.

1. What is the value of the number e?

The value of the number e is approximately 2.71828.

2. Who discovered the number e?

The number e was discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

3. What does the letter e represent in mathematics?

The letter e in mathematics represents the base of the natural logarithm and is often used in exponential and logarithmic functions.

4. How is the number e defined in a book?

In a book, the number e is defined as the limit of (1 + 1/n)^n as n approaches infinity.

5. What are some real-life applications of the number e?

The number e has various applications in finance, physics, and engineering, such as compound interest calculations, modeling population growth, and designing efficient electronic circuits.