Book on gamma functions with applications in Quantum Mech.

In summary, for those looking to learn about and practice gamma function integration, there are several recommended resources including books such as "Irresistible Integrals" and "Inside Interesting Integrals," as well as papers such as "Laplace's Integral, the Gamma Function, and Beyond" and "Stirling's Formula and Its Extension for the Gamma Function." These resources cover topics such as the applications of gamma functions in quantum mechanics and the reasoning behind the formula for the gamma function.
Joker93
I have heard that in my next semester, our quantum mechanics teacher will be giving a great emphasis on difficult integrals with the most of them having to do with gamma functions.

Does anybody know a book(or any other source) that I can learn about and practice gamma functions integration (with applications to physics and more preferably quantum mechanics if possible)?

The only thing I have found are books that just list the integrals of gamma functions in tables rather than having a few examples and them some practice problems.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some references I found out on reddit: (I don't know if that's advanced enough for your level)

Irresistible Integrals: Symbolics, Analysis and Experiments in the Evaluation of Integrals
, by George Boros and Victor Moll.
Chapter 11 deals with the Gamma and Beta functions.

Paul Nahin, Inside Interesting Integrals.
Pages 117-147 deals with the Gamma and Beta functions.

6.4 of Gradshteyn and Ryzhik are about the Gamma function, and

Special Integrals of Gradshteyn and Ryzhik: the Proofs - Volume I
by Victor H. Moll

has a section providing proofs of formulas in Gradshteyn and Ryzhik. (I'm not sure if anyone of them has applications in QM)

Likes Demystifier
Anama Skout said:
Here are some references I found out on reddit: (I don't know if that's advanced enough for your level)

Irresistible Integrals: Symbolics, Analysis and Experiments in the Evaluation of Integrals
, by George Boros and Victor Moll.
Chapter 11 deals with the Gamma and Beta functions.

Paul Nahin, Inside Interesting Integrals.
Pages 117-147 deals with the Gamma and Beta functions.

6.4 of Gradshteyn and Ryzhik are about the Gamma function, and

Special Integrals of Gradshteyn and Ryzhik: the Proofs - Volume I
by Victor H. Moll

has a section providing proofs of formulas in Gradshteyn and Ryzhik. (I'm not sure if anyone of them has applications in QM)
Thanks for the recommendations. I already know about Nahin's awesome book and I also know that it has some applications.

Likes Anama Skout
Also anhttp://www.uni-graz.at/~gronau/TMCS_1_2003.pdf that attempts to answer: "Why is ##\Gamma(n)=(n-1)!## and not ##\Gamma(n)=n!##?"

Edit: Some other papers:
  • Wladimir de Azevedo Pribitkin, Laplace's Integral, the Gamma Function, and beyond, American Mathematical Monthly.
  • Gopala Krishna Srinivasan, The Gamma Function: An Eclectic Tour, American Mathematical Monthly.
  • Dorin Ervin Dutkay, Constantin P. Niculescu, Florin Popovici, Stirling’s Formula and Its Extension for the Gamma Function, American Mathematical Monthly.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a gamma function?

A gamma function is a mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to real and complex numbers. It is denoted by the symbol Γ and is defined as Γ(z) = ∫0 xz-1e-x dx, where z is a complex number.

2. What are some common applications of gamma functions?

Gamma functions have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some common ones include solving differential equations, calculating volumes and areas of geometric shapes, and analyzing radioactive decay processes.

3. How are gamma functions related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, gamma functions are used to represent wave functions and probability amplitudes. They also play a crucial role in calculating expectation values and transition probabilities in quantum systems.

4. What are some key topics covered in a book on gamma functions with applications in quantum mechanics?

Some key topics that may be covered in such a book include the properties and special values of gamma functions, their relationship with other special functions, and their applications in solving problems in quantum mechanics, such as the hydrogen atom and the harmonic oscillator.

5. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary to understand a book on gamma functions with applications in quantum mechanics?

While a basic understanding of quantum mechanics may be helpful, it is not necessary for understanding a book on gamma functions with applications in quantum mechanics. The book may provide an introduction to relevant concepts in quantum mechanics before delving into the applications of gamma functions.