Book on renormalization group in fluid dynamics?

In summary: Dahl's "Introduction to Oceanography" is a great book to start from, and it's available online for free.
ashnek
I found between my family's books (cousins mostly) 4 books for fluid mechanics, and since next semester i ll be taking it it d be cool if i could just chose between them. Oh btw its for mechanical engineering
i currently have:
Fluid Mechanics. Robert A. Granger
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486683567/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Fluid Mechanics. Frank. M. White (older version than the link)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072831804/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Fluid Mechanics Kundu, Cohen
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123821002/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Fluid Mechanics Streeter, Wylie
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070622426/?tag=pfamazon01-20I have read some subjects on all of them i don't rlly like Streeter and the one by White seems good, i really Kundu's and Granger's but i can't rlly decide between them, and i was looking in the forum for opinions of the granger book but didnt find any so I am wondering if anybody has it or anyway just what you think about them. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello!

I am looking for a recent book on renormalization group methods with applications in fluid dynamics (yes, nothing more relaxing than reading up on RNG theory beneath the Christmas tree). Most books I've seen focus more on quantum mechanics but I'm more interested in the practical applications in fluid dynamics, specifically in the area of turbulence.
At the moment I'm thinking about buying the book of MCComb, but other suggestions are welcome. A recent review paper could potentially also be interesting.

I would like to further my understanding in aerospace fluid dynamics as I'm hoping to apply to a fluid dynamics department that sways more towards scientific understanding, at an aero gas turbine company. I have recently read the book entitled Anderson's CFD; Basics with Applications, and I am currently using Fluent to solve various simple problems. I'm looking for a book that provides the next step in fluids, preferably in a clear manner such as in Anderson's books. Should this be of a particular area i.e. turbulence or multiphase fluids, or is there a general book I should read first? I'm unsure of my preferences yet without working in each area, therefore my question partly relates to what people normally do in this circumstance.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Books similar to "Introduction to Dynamical Oceanography" Pond&Pickard

Hi.

It was recommended for one of my http://www.unis.no/studies/Arctic_Geophysics/agf_211.htm next year that I have a basic understanding of oceanography corresponding to Chapter 1-6, 8, 9.11 in Pond and Pickard (1983): "Introduction to Dynamical Oceanography". So I thought I should use the christmas break to give myself a crash course. Unfortunately the local University library doesn't have the book, so I wondered if there are any online texts on the same level or any other books that I can check if the library has.

Regards
Gullik

I would say that all four books seem like good options for learning about fluid mechanics. However, since you will be taking the course for mechanical engineering, I would recommend choosing a book that specifically focuses on fluid mechanics in the context of mechanical engineering. This will ensure that the material covered is relevant to your field of study and will likely be more applicable to your future career.

Additionally, if you are interested in the topic of renormalization group in fluid dynamics, I would suggest looking for a book that specifically covers this subject. It may not be necessary for your course, but it could be a valuable resource for further exploration and understanding of the topic.

Overall, my recommendation would be to choose a book that is tailored to your specific needs and interests, and that aligns with the goals of your course and future career. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the renormalization group in fluid dynamics?

The renormalization group is a mathematical framework used to analyze and understand the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid flows. It involves studying how physical quantities, such as velocity and pressure, change as the scale of observation changes. This allows scientists to gain insights into the overall behavior of a fluid flow, even when the details at smaller scales are not fully understood.

2. How is the renormalization group applied to fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, the renormalization group is used to study the behavior of turbulent flows, which are characterized by chaotic and unpredictable motion. By using mathematical techniques to analyze the behavior of the flow at different scales, researchers can gain a better understanding of how turbulence develops and how it affects the overall flow.

3. Why is the renormalization group important in fluid dynamics?

The renormalization group is important in fluid dynamics because it allows scientists to study complex systems, such as turbulent flows, in a systematic and rigorous way. It also provides a way to bridge the gap between the microscopic and macroscopic scales, allowing researchers to make predictions about the overall behavior of a fluid flow based on the behavior at smaller scales.

4. What are some practical applications of the renormalization group in fluid dynamics?

The renormalization group has many practical applications in fluid dynamics, including predicting the behavior of turbulent flows in industrial and environmental settings, such as in aircraft engines and weather patterns. It is also used in developing more accurate models for fluid dynamics simulations, which can aid in the design and optimization of various fluid systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the renormalization group in fluid dynamics?

While the renormalization group is a powerful tool in studying fluid dynamics, it does have some limitations. It is most effective in systems that exhibit self-similarity, where the same patterns and structures are observed at different scales. It also relies on certain assumptions and approximations, which may not hold true in all cases. Additionally, the complexity and computational cost of using the renormalization group can be a limiting factor in some applications.