Book reccomendations on Fourier Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a Fourier Analysis textbook. The person asking the question has a basic graduate level knowledge of Real Analysis and is looking for a textbook that takes advantage of more advanced analytic machinery. Suggestions are given for books such as "An Introduction to Harmonic Analysis" by Katznelson, "Fourier Series and Integrals" by Dym and McKean, and "Classical and Modern Fourier Analysis" by Grafakos. Other resources such as Rudin's "Functional Analysis" and Hörmander's "The Analysis of Linear Partial Differential Operators" are also mentioned. The person asking for recommendations thanks the other person for their helpful suggestions.
maxbaroi
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a Fourier Analysis textbook.

I have Stein & Shakarchi's Fourier Analysis textbook, but ideally I'd like to have one that takes advantage of some of the analytic machinery that I know that Stein & Shakarchi doesn't assume. I have a basic graduate level knowledge of Real Analysis: some point-set topology, properties of the Lebesgue measure and measurable functions, some more measure theory, a little functional analysis, topological vector spaces. If anybody has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
maxbaroi said:
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a Fourier Analysis textbook.

I have Stein & Shakarchi's Fourier Analysis textbook, but ideally I'd like to have one that takes advantage of some of the analytic machinery that I know that Stein & Shakarchi doesn't assume. I have a basic graduate level knowledge of Real Analysis: some point-set topology, properties of the Lebesgue measure and measurable functions, some more measure theory, a little functional analysis, topological vector spaces. If anybody has any suggestions I'd really appreciate them.

Thanks!

Have you had a look at Katznelson's "An Introduction to Harmonic Analysis"? It's a nice treatment of classical Fourier analysis that assumes exactly the background you described. There's also Dym and McKean, "Fourier Series and Integrals" at about the same level or maybe a little easier.

Another option that covers a lot more ground that can also be attacked by someone with your background is "Classical and Modern Fourier Analysis" by Grafakos. (I see that this has recently been republished by Springer as two volumes: "Classical Fourier Analysis" and "Modern Fourier Analysis".) This is a more sophisticated book that aims higher and would be a good choice if your aim was to be able to read research papers in this area.

Grafakos covers some major non-trivial modern ground, such as Carleson's 1966 theorem (and Hunt's subsequent extension) that the Fourier series of any L^p function (p > 1) converges almost everywhere.

You may also find it useful to learn about Fourier analysis on distributions (generalized functions); there's some material on that subject in both of the above books, but for more depth you might check out Rudin's "Functional Analysis" or Hörmander's "The Analysis of Linear Partial Differential Operators, Part I: Distribution Theory and Fourier Analysis". The latter is denser and harder, but the paperback edition actually has solutions to all the exercises, a rare resource at this mathematical level!

In ascending order of sophistication, I would rank the above books as follows:

Dym and McKean
Katznelson / Rudin (roughly the same level)
Hörmander
Grafakos

The other option is that of course most books on measure-theoretic real analysis will have some Fourier analysis coverage, including Stein and Shakarchi's third volume, Rudin's "Real and Complex Analysis," Jones' "Lebesgue Integration on Euclidean Space." Whether this is enough depends on how far you want to go.

Thank you for your recommendations.

I've picked up Katznelson's book and am enjoying it. Grafakos sound interesting, I'll check my local library.

Thank you again for detailed post. It really is a tremendous help.

1. What is Fourier Analysis?

Fourier Analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal into its individual frequency components. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

2. Why is Fourier Analysis important?

Fourier Analysis is important because it allows us to better understand and manipulate complex signals and data. It is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics, to solve problems and make predictions.

3. What are some recommended books on Fourier Analysis?

Some recommended books on Fourier Analysis include "Fourier Analysis" by T.W. Körner, "Fourier Analysis: An Introduction" by Elias M. Stein and Rami Shakarchi, and "A First Course in Fourier Analysis" by David W. Kammler.

4. Do I need a strong mathematical background to understand books on Fourier Analysis?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is necessary to fully understand books on Fourier Analysis. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and complex analysis before delving into Fourier Analysis.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about Fourier Analysis?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about Fourier Analysis. Some popular resources include online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, as well as video tutorials and lectures on YouTube.