Books for Aerodynamics & Flight basics

• Thread starter Nikhil05
  • Start date
Hi, I am currently completing undergraduate studies in electronics & aiming to pursue MS Aerospace from US.
Can anybody please tell about good books for Aerodynamics & Flight which cover the basics for someone without a fluid dynamics background ? Thank you.

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
"Introduction to Flight" by Anderson would be a good start for someone with no background.

"Introduction to Flight" by Anderson would be a good start for someone with no background.
Do I need to study flight before moving on to aerodynamics or is flight a prerequisite for studying aerodynamics ?

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What? Well where does your knowledge fall now? Just Google the book and see what it covers. If it seems too basic, move on to "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson.

What? Well where does your knowledge fall now? Just Google the book and see what it covers. If it seems too basic, move on to "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson.
My knowledge is at the absolute zero level. I know nothing about aerofoils, propulsion & various topics.

enigma

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Introduction to flight is used at the sophomore level of an aerospace degree. It covers basic concepts in aerodynamics suitable for someone who has had calculus, but likely hasn't mastered its application. Fundamentals of aerodynamics is used at the junior level and was used (for me, and the Author is professor emeritus at the school I went to) for both aerodynamics 1 which was taught to all AE juniors and aero 2 which was only taught to the 'planes track' students. There is some overlap between the books, but if you know nothing, I would suggest you start with "Flight"

Introduction to flight is used at the sophomore level of an aerospace degree. It covers basic concepts in aerodynamics suitable for someone who has had calculus, but likely hasn't mastered its application. Fundamentals of aerodynamics is used at the junior level and was used (for me, and the Author is professor emeritus at the school I went to) for both aerodynamics 1 which was taught to all AE juniors and aero 2 which was only taught to the 'planes track' students. There is some overlap between the books, but if you know nothing, I would suggest you start with "Flight"
Thanks

a must read before studying deep into aerospace are two books which i found to be very useful

Introduction to flight by A C Kermode
Aerodynamics for naval aviators

these two are excellent books with out any mathematics

with maths and lots of theory
introduction to flight by anderson
aerodynamics by L J Clancy
aircraft performance by anderson

I second the recommendation of Andersons Introduction to Flight.

It covers the basics of aerodynamics and flight principles in an easy to grasp way and offers more complex thoughts if you want them, but in a way as not to confuse. Highly recommended.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving