Books for learning how to write proofs

In summary, the conversation suggests that the best way to learn mathematical language and writing proofs is to practice by solving challenging problems from resources such as past IMO and Putnam exams. The book "How to Prove it; A structured approach" by Daniel J. Velleman is recommended for its focus on specific proof methods and exercises. Other recommended resources include "How to Read and Do Proofs" by Daniel Solow, which provides a systematic approach to the subject, and "Proofs and Fundamentals" by Ethan D. Bloch, which includes examples from more advanced mathematics.
jaejoon89
What are some classic, good books on learning mathematical language and writing proofs?

(to gain facility with mathematical language and method of conjecture, proof and counter example, with emphasis on proofs. Topics: logic, sets, functions and others.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this isn't quite what you're looking for, but I've found that the best way to learn to write proofs is to simply write proofs!

There are all sorts of resources to help you in this regard. Check out the past IMO exams. Despite being aimed at high school students, they should provide a good challenge even to the average college math major. Also, look at the Putnam exams. These are of course quite harder than the IMO tests, but the questions are all of the same fundamentally proof-based nature.

In this spirit, the book I recommend is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387257659/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It's a great collection of very challenging proof-based exercises. It covers the whole range of undergraduate mathematics, and the opening chapter is focused on specific methods of proof together with some (surprisingly hard!) exercises that are meant to be solved using each method.

I should mention that it's not only a collection of problems. It does contain a fair amount of discussion of various techniques and topics that are relevant to writing proofs and solving problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
"How to Prove it; A structured approach" by Daniel J. Velleman. I just got it at a library, haven't read it yet. But its suppose to teach you proves.

IMO, learning proofs by doing logic and sets is making it harder then it has to be. Doing something natural like number theory or geometry (which are on problems like zpconn suggests) is more enjoyable. Induction and contradiction, for example, can be picked up from number theory . Although it might be a good idea to pick up a book like Bright Wang's from the library to learn the notation.

Bill_B said:

I agree. I used this text. Solow does a good job systematizing the subject. In order to clearly illustrate the methods, his examples and problems are usually at the level of high school mathematics (e.g. trigonometry). There are supplementary sections at the end of the book, which comprise about one-half of the pages, that explore examples related to more advanced mathematics (e.g. real analysis).

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Velleman's book was pretty good.

1. What is the purpose of a book for learning how to write proofs?

A book for learning how to write proofs is designed to provide step-by-step guidance and instruction on how to construct and present logical arguments in mathematics and other fields. It helps readers to develop critical thinking skills, improve their problem-solving abilities, and effectively communicate their ideas through written proofs.

2. Who can benefit from using a book for learning how to write proofs?

Anyone who is interested in learning how to construct and present logical arguments can benefit from using a book for learning how to write proofs. This includes students in mathematics and other STEM fields, as well as professionals who need to use proofs in their work.

3. What topics are typically covered in a book for learning how to write proofs?

A book for learning how to write proofs may cover topics such as basic logic, proof techniques, number theory, set theory, and other areas of mathematics. It may also include exercises and examples to help readers apply the concepts they have learned.

4. How can I use a book for learning how to write proofs effectively?

To use a book for learning how to write proofs effectively, it is important to read and understand each chapter thoroughly, complete all exercises and practice problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It may also be helpful to discuss concepts and solutions with peers to reinforce understanding.

5. Are there any recommended books for learning how to write proofs?

Yes, there are many books available for learning how to write proofs. Some popular titles include "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel Velleman, "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Gary Chartrand, Albert D. Polimeni, and Ping Zhang, and "The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" by Antonella Cupillari. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your level of understanding and goals for learning how to write proofs.