Total beginner here in need of some book suggestions.

In summary, the individual has a strong interest in aerodynamics but does not have a scientific background. They are wondering if there is a book that can teach both the math and concepts of aerodynamics or if they should start by learning the math first. A suggested book is "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" which covers the basics without getting too technical. However, it is mentioned that a deeper understanding would require knowledge of calculus and differential equations. The individual's goals are not specified, making it difficult to recommend specific books.
mrwilliam
To start off, i don't come from any type of scientific background, but I've recently developed an interest in aerodynamics as a "hobby." I am, however, the type of person who takes a hobby as far as i can possibly take it (I'm a pilot, I have played guitar/bass/keyboards in various bands throughout the years, etc.) Unfortunately, I don't have much of a math background other than basic algebra. Not to say that I can't learn it, I just never really had a reason or interest to pursue math beyond what was necessary way back in high school.

My question is, is there such a book that could possibly teach both the math and the concepts of aerodynamics? Or would I be better off buying some old math textbooks and teach myself all the math first before I can even consider getting involved in learning aerodynamics?

I'm open to any and all suggestions and thank you in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
The math involved is significantly more complicated than algebra, but of course good algebra and trig fundamentals are important the further along you go. Numerical analysis, diff eq's, etc are just the basics, with more real world situations being the realm of computer analysis. If you want the basic theories without heavy mathematics, then I'd suggest picking up a copy of "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators". One of the few texts out there that outlines the big picture stuff (ie anything you would need to know as a pilot), without getting bogged down in math theory and such. Our student naval aviators actually use a slightly different version these days, but the one that you can publicly purchase through various book retailers is a bit more in depth. It was written to teach folks aero that have no technical/science background at all, and does a good job of it.

It really depends on how deep you want to get into the material. If you really want to understand it, you need to know calculus and differential equations, including vector calculus. What are your goals? There are tons of books out there, but without knowing your goals, it is hard to tell you where to start.

1. What are some good books for a total beginner in science?

Some good books for total beginners in science include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, and "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins.

2. Are there any books that explain complicated scientific concepts in an easy-to-understand way?

Yes, there are many books that aim to simplify complex scientific concepts for beginners. Some examples include "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

3. Can you recommend any books that cover a wide range of scientific topics?

Absolutely. "The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science" by Natalie Angier and "The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements" by Sam Kean are both great options for a diverse introduction to various scientific fields.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on biology for beginners?

Yes, "The Biology Book: From the Origin of Life to Epigenetics, 250 Milestones in the History of Biology" by Michael C. Gerald is a comprehensive guide to biology for beginners. "Biology for Dummies" by Rene Fester Kratz is also a popular choice.

5. Do you have any book recommendations for someone interested in environmental science?

For a beginner interested in environmental science, "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson, "The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History" by Elizabeth Kolbert, and "The Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohlleben are all great options to explore various aspects of this field.