Books on Spherical Trigonometry

In summary, there are several good books available for learning spherical trigonometry from basics to an advanced level. These include 'Spherical Trigonometry: "For the Use of Colleges and Schools" ' by I.Todhunter, which is available for free on Google due to expired copyright, and W.M.Smart's "Textbook on Spherical Astronomy" which includes a chapter on spherical trigonometry in an astronomical context. Other recommended books include "Heavenly Mathematics: The Forgotten Art of Spherical Trigonometry" by Glen Van Brummelen and "Spherical Trigonometry" by A.A. Klaf.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What are some good books to learn spherical trigonometry from basics to the advanced level?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the bibliography on this subject is mostly old. One good book is 'Spherical Trigonometry: "For the Use of Colleges and Schools" ' by I.Todhunter. There is also this one that has entered the public domain as its copyright has expired so it is available by Google.

As an aside, one good book that I've read that is about Spherical Astronomy - including one chapter of Spherical Trigonometry, is W.M.Smart's "Textbook on Spherical Astronomy" in case you're interested for spherical trigonometry in the context of Astronomy.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Buffu
QuantumQuest said:
As far as I know, the bibliography on this subject is mostly old. One good book is 'Spherical Trigonometry: "For the Use of Colleges and Schools" ' by I.Todhunter. There is also this one that has entered the public domain as its copyright has expired so it is available by Google.

As an aside, one good book that I've read that is about Spherical Astronomy - including one chapter of Spherical Trigonometry, is W.M.Smart's "Textbook on Spherical Astronomy" in case you're interested for spherical trigonometry in the context of Astronomy.

Gutenberg project has TeXed up version of I.Todhunter's book http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1977...n_id=dac72e51d0dc3808c216536dba2bbb5626215aa7.

Likes Wrichik Basu and QuantumQuest
I've read Heavenly Mathematics: The Forgotten Art of Spherical Trigonometry by Glen Van Brummelen. I found it to be good. It's a blend of history text and mathematics instruction.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll surely check then out.

A. A. Klaf, Dover.

1. What is spherical trigonometry?

Spherical trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties on the surface of a sphere. It is used in navigation, astronomy, and geodesy.

2. What are some real-world applications of spherical trigonometry?

Spherical trigonometry is used in a variety of fields, including navigation for ships and airplanes, surveying and mapping of the Earth's surface, and astronomical calculations for celestial bodies.

3. How is spherical trigonometry different from planar trigonometry?

Unlike planar trigonometry, which deals with triangles on a flat surface, spherical trigonometry takes into account the curvature of the Earth's surface. This means that the rules and formulas for calculating angles and sides of triangles are different in spherical trigonometry.

4. What are some key concepts in spherical trigonometry?

Some key concepts in spherical trigonometry include the law of cosines, the law of sines, and the spherical triangle identities. These concepts are used to solve problems involving triangles on the surface of a sphere.

5. Are there any recommended books for learning about spherical trigonometry?

Yes, some recommended books on spherical trigonometry include "Spherical Trigonometry for the Use of Colleges and Schools" by I.N. Vilenkin and A.P. Kiselev, and "Spherical Trigonometry: For the Use of Schools and Colleges" by I. Todhunter. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject with examples and exercises for practice.