Books on topology, geometry and physics

In summary, a book recommended by others is Topology and Geometry for Physicists by Nash and Sen. Another recommended book is Geometry, Topology, and Physics by Nakahara.
LBloom
Hi everyone,

First my background, I'm a junior in physics and math. I've taken griffiths QM, EM (first semester only so far), mechanics and such. In terms of math, I've taken an applied algebra and linear algebra course. I've learned some GR from Sean Carroll's text and a short course in GR by nightingdale.

So, I'm looking for a book that covers topics in geometry, topology and physics and how they interrelate. I have some basic knowledge of topology from Munkres and I've learned some Riemannian/semi Riemannian from Tensor Geometry by Dodson and Poston. I've found plenty of books but I'm not sure where to start/what books are good for my level. Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard nothing but good things from "Topology and Geometry for Physicists" by Nash and Sen. However, if you wanted the pure exposure, then of course I doubt you'll find any better than Munkres.

There is another excellent book on precisely this topic. It is Nakahara's "Geometry, Topology, and Physics". Every chapter pretty much covers a course that you'd need to take an entire semester of mathematics to understand. It is extremely terse at times, but I've found it primarily useful to get a nice overview of a topic quickly and then use other resources to zoom in on and learn the details of whatever seems relevant to what I'm interested in. It is a very fun book to read, too - I kept it by my bed for the first several months after I bought it since I liked to read it before going to sleep.

Divisionbyzero: that book looks interesting, its written by physicists so it definitely seems like something I'd like to read. I'm not a big fan of the pure exposure thing.

Monocles: I've seen that book and I knew someone would bring it up. It seems like a good book if a little dense. I may tackle that one later

George jones: The course in mathematical physics looks interesting. From the preface it appears oriented towards someone with my background. The other two appear a little too complex. I'll have to see.

Thanks for the advice! looking forward to getting started.

Related to Books on topology, geometry and physics

1. What is the importance of studying topology, geometry, and physics?

Studying topology, geometry, and physics is important because these fields provide a fundamental understanding of the physical laws and structures that govern our universe. They also have practical applications in various industries, including technology, engineering, and medicine.

2. What are some examples of books on topology, geometry, and physics?

Some popular books on topology, geometry, and physics include "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose, "A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms" by David Bachman, and "Quantum Topology and Global Anomalies" by Louis H. Kauffman.

3. Do I need a strong mathematical background to understand books on topology, geometry, and physics?

It depends on the specific book, as some may require a stronger mathematical background than others. However, many books on these subjects are written for a general audience and do not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

4. How can studying topology, geometry, and physics benefit my career?

Studying topology, geometry, and physics can benefit your career in various ways, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, understanding complex systems, and providing a strong foundation for further studies in STEM fields.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about topology, geometry, and physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about topology, geometry, and physics, including online courses, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.