Boosting a petrol generator with a car battery?

In summary, this conversation is about a person looking to buy a petrol generator to power an electric motor. They are looking for a 3KW generator, but are worried that the motor will draw too much power for the generator. They are also looking into a way to decouple the motor from the load so that the generator can only start when the motor is spinning at a certain speed.
hyphagon
TL;DR Summary
Want to run an electric motor from a petrol generator but the startup load of the motor is too large. Could a car battery supplement the generator to start the motor?
Hi All,

So i am looking to buy a petrol generator to run a 2.2KW electric motor. I was thinking of getting a 3KW model which under normal conditions this should be ok - but on start up I've been told an electrical motor draws 6 to 10 times the normal load, which is way too high for the generator. So I am wondering if I could could hook up as well a car battery on a 12v- 230v invertor?

My logic is when the motor starts it draws on both the generator and battery, then once started only draws on the generator.

Is this possible and how complex would the wiring be? On a sidenote getting a more powerful generator is not feasible as it would require around 18KW which costs thousands!

Many thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would have to somehow phase the inverter and generator outputs together.

What is the motor spinning when it first starts? A heavy fan? Have a look into soft-start options for your motor.

Is this 240V single phase?

What is the power factor of the motor? This will be written as PF or cosΦ on the rating plate. Most generators will allow for a start-up surge, so you won’t need an 18 kVA (note units and research!). You may, however, need a bit more headroom than 3 kVA for a 2.2 kW motor.

Likes sophiecentaur and Rive
Battery is no good. It can be done but more pain than gain.
In case you want to apply some overkill then you can add a frequency changer into the mix. But that's really an overkill. Better go with what @Guineafowl suggested.

Likes sophiecentaur
It heavily depends on the motor load and if the motor is for example inverter driven and has a soft start.

As an example my little diy 3kw diesel generator can start and run my portable compressor, the same compressor will pop a 20A breaker (120V) if started when its cold.

Likes sophiecentaur
I couldn't remember the motor, so quick google image search the compressor is:
1.1Hp continuous, 15A, 120V, 2pole induction machine.

The generator was load tested, will deliver 3kw continuous resistive load (heaters), but is over-fueling a little, anything much above that, the diesel starts to slow down and stall.

If the motor you want to start is 2.2kw mechanical output, then I would say 3kW generator is not enough, but 5-6kW should do the job.

I once had a gasoline generator rated 4 kW continuous and 4.5 KW peak. It would just barely start my 2 hp air compressor, then easily run the compressor up to its full rated pressure. It would easily start my 1.5 hp table saw. Extrapolating from that, a 2.2 kW motor would need a generator rated for at least 7 kW peak power.

Can you decouple the motor from the load, get it up to speed, then engage a clutch? A clutch can be as simple as a spring loaded idler pulley on a V-belt, such as is done on snowblowers. You would still need a generator larger than 3 kW.

jrmichler said:
I once had a gasoline generator rated 4 kW continuous and 4.5 KW peak. It would just barely start my 2 hp air compressor, then easily run the compressor up to its full rated pressure. It would easily start my 1.5 hp table saw. Extrapolating from that, a 2.2 kW motor would need a generator rated for at least 7 kW peak power.

Can you decouple the motor from the load, get it up to speed, then engage a clutch? A clutch can be as simple as a spring loaded idler pulley on a V-belt, such as is done on snowblowers. You would still need a generator larger than 3 kW.
^^^ This is why we need to know what the motor is driving. The higher end air compressors have an unloader valve that allows the motor to spin up before working against the pressure in the tank. A kind of mechanical soft-start.

As ever, you need to consider the whole system, not just the electrical side.

Edit: Where’s @jim hardy ? This would be just his cup of tea.

Likes sophiecentaur
I have to agree - how to fix depends on the load. One " cheat" manually throttle the generator before starting the motor, or any way to get a flywheel on the generator shaft.
A VFD may also help.
But none of this may work on something like a compressor.

Likes sophiecentaur
I think the flywheel solution is probably the only practical one. Allow the engine to wind up the flywheel with no load on the generator then apply the load. I would imagine that the generator could probably provide the initial high start current. It puts me in mind of the commentator at a Steam Traction Engine rally who referred to "instantaneous horse power", available from the massive flywheel, which was available when the engine was used as a Ploughing Engine and a large stone was encountered by the ploughshare.
On the whole, though, a bigger engine and generator are really what's called for if you want a reliable system. You could find long term problems with an overheated stator winding.

From a physical point of view, a flywheel would be an elegant solution. However, obtaining a flywheel that somehow fits to a close-coupled genset and ensuring it’s properly balanced and doesn’t overload the running gear is going to be a challenge.

Also, the flywheel giveth, and the flywheel taketh away - assuming the genny is a pull-start, you’re going to need a thicker start rope!

We haven’t heard much from @hyphagon yet. Any thoughts?

Guineafowl said:
assuming the genny is a pull-start, you’re going to need a thicker start rope!
A clutch could help sort that out and the flywheel could be external, on a separate shaft with a flexible linkage. It would need to be well bolted down and (of course) properly balanced. despite that, I am sure the mechanical solution would be the one to go for; the 'battery' idea would just be too problematical and probably very expensive.
I would do a lot of looking on eBay and Gumtree until something becomes available at a reasonable price and the smaller set could always be sold later to help with the cost. [Edit - if you just decide to upscale the installation]
Some people are 'mechanical' and some are not. Some have money to spend and others don't. The solution may or may not exist, depending on which combination the OP fits into.

Last edited:
First, you have to find out the source of the problem. Is the motor start-up current due to the load connected or just the motor itself, or both.
One way to deal with the load is to use centrifugal clutch between the motor and the load. It would connect the load only when the motor reaches certain rpm.
If the problem is the motor startup current, you can limit that. One way is using NTC thermistors in series with the motor. They would limit the start up current but provide negligible resistance once hot.
Or use a SCR-based soft start circuit.

1. How can I boost a petrol generator with a car battery?

To boost a petrol generator with a car battery, you will need to use jumper cables. Connect one end of the positive cable to the positive terminal of the car battery and the other end to the positive terminal of the generator. Then, connect one end of the negative cable to the negative terminal of the car battery and the other end to a metal part of the generator. Start the car and let it run for a few minutes to charge the generator before starting it.

2. Can I use any car battery to boost a petrol generator?

It is recommended to use a car battery with a similar voltage as the generator, typically 12 volts. Using a battery with a higher voltage can damage the generator and using a battery with a lower voltage may not provide enough power to start the generator.

3. How long should I let the car run before starting the generator?

It is recommended to let the car run for at least 5-10 minutes before starting the generator. This will allow the car battery to charge the generator and provide enough power to start it.

4. Is it safe to boost a petrol generator with a car battery?

Boosting a petrol generator with a car battery can be safe as long as proper precautions are taken. Make sure to wear protective gear and follow the correct steps for connecting the jumper cables. It is also important to ensure that the car battery and generator are compatible in terms of voltage and polarity.

5. Are there any risks or potential issues when boosting a petrol generator with a car battery?

There are a few potential risks and issues to be aware of when boosting a petrol generator with a car battery. These include the risk of electrical shock if the jumper cables are not connected properly, the potential for damage to the generator if the battery voltage is too high, and the possibility of draining the car battery if the generator is not started promptly. It is important to take precautions and follow the correct steps to minimize these risks.