Boric acid + Isopropyl alcohol = ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation and effectiveness of an ant killer solution using boric acid, table sugar, and water. The user also mentions adding isopropyl alcohol to sterilize the solution, but questions whether a reaction occurred or if the alcohol simply brought dissolved gases out of solution. They also suggest that the addition of glucose may have affected the solution.
jorjor
Boric acid + Isopropyl alcohol = ?

Hi...I've made some ant killer solution:

4.9 grams of boric acid,
39.4 grams of table sugar (sucrose?),
in 250ml water

Works fine. Take 1/4 of a paper towel, fold into a small rectangle, place on inverted saucer,
and saturate with ~1 tsp of Ant-B-Gone. When the paper pad is dry, dispose, rinse saucer,
and replace with new pad+solution. Wash hands, because boric acid is toxic, but not so much
that you can't use it in the kitchen, for example.

(Included this level of detail for completeness and because it might be of general use.)

OK. This evening I went to the jar of Ant-B-Gone to renew a pad, and saw floating toward the
bottom a ~2cm sphere of very fine fibers radiating from a denser center. Not a crystal, but
probably a fungal growth of some sort. I fished it out with a spoon and added 2 tablespoons
of 91% isopropyl alcohol to sterilize the solution, thinking that on application the alcohol would
evaporate.

Funny thing is, though, when I swirled the solution to mix it, a cloud of very small bubbles
appeared.

Question: did a reaction occur, resulting in something that isn't boric acid any more, or (perhaps)
did the addition of the alcohol bring dissolved gases out of solution?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Boric Acid and Glucose reacts to form a complex. Maybe that has something to do with this.

1. What is the purpose of mixing boric acid and isopropyl alcohol?

Boric acid and isopropyl alcohol are commonly mixed together to create a homemade cleaning solution. Both ingredients have antibacterial and antifungal properties, making them effective for disinfecting and removing dirt and grime.

2. Is the mixture of boric acid and isopropyl alcohol safe to use?

When used in small amounts, the mixture of boric acid and isopropyl alcohol is generally safe to use. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and avoiding inhalation, as boric acid can be toxic if ingested or inhaled in large quantities.

3. Can boric acid and isopropyl alcohol be used as a pesticide?

Yes, boric acid and isopropyl alcohol can be used as a pesticide to control insects and pests. However, it is important to use proper amounts and follow guidelines to avoid harm to beneficial insects and plants.

4. How do I make a boric acid and isopropyl alcohol cleaning solution?

To make a boric acid and isopropyl alcohol cleaning solution, mix equal parts of each ingredient in a spray bottle. Shake well before using and avoid using on surfaces that may be damaged by alcohol.

5. Can I use boric acid and isopropyl alcohol to treat skin conditions?

No, boric acid and isopropyl alcohol should not be used to treat skin conditions. These ingredients can be irritating to the skin and may cause further damage. It is best to consult a medical professional for appropriate treatment for skin conditions.