Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bought speakers with non-US plug how to convert to US outlet voltage?

  1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    I'm not really sure where this question would go, or if it should go in this forum at all. This isn't an engineering question per se, but please help me if you can.

    I bought a set of speakers for my computer recently on Ebay. Apparently all the manuals are in Spanish (which wasn't much of a problem for me since I can get the manual in English). But when I looked at the plug, it isn't the standard US electrical plug at all. It IS a two-pronged plug, but not the flat rectangular ones I see here, but they are slim cylindrical shaped. It says it is a 110V-60Hz 525mA power cable.

    I tried looking online to see what kind of adapter I should get from Amazon to be able to use it properly without blowing the house up, but I get different answers as to which adapter I should get. I see commonly a 110 to 220 converter... but my search reveals that US households have a voltage of 120V. Some common adapters I see on Amazon are "220/240 to 110/120". But that doesn't seem like that's what I need. I seem to need the 110 to 120 adapter. (Unless I'm totally wrong on that, which I could be).

    Any ideas? Any links to an Amazon product that would help me?

  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    There isn't enough difference between 110Vrms and 120Vrms to worry about, IMO. And since they are rated for 60Hz, all you need to do is mechanically adapt the male plug from Mexico to the male plug from the US.

    Does this look right?


  4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks! It certainly looks like what I need. I did order the plug you mentioned for 2 bucks. Let's hope it works.
  5. Aug 24, 2012 #4
    The other thing I want to confirm is -- the subwoofer states the cord is a 110V power cord, but the plug itself has a voltage on it that says 250V. I should go with what is stated on the subwoofer correct? (And ignore what is on the plug itself?)
  6. Aug 24, 2012 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Yes. If there's a label on the subwoofer (would normally be near where the power cord exits) that says 110V then that's voltage it requires. If there's a voltage (and/or amp) rating stamped on the plug, that would normally just represent the maximum rating for the plug itself.
  7. Aug 24, 2012 #6
    Thanks! Much appreciated.
  8. Aug 24, 2012 #7


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

    There are two separate issues here and it needs to be spelled out, I think.
    You need to feed your speakers with the correct voltage - but that would really only be a problem if you were trying to operate 110 (or 120) V equipment on a 230V supply.

    The connectors that work on the 110V range are all suitable for that voltage so it looks as if you only need to swap connectors. The wiring colour will be relevant of there is a third (Earth) connection and it is also a good thing to connect the live conductor to the live hole in the socket (if there is a 'handedness') to the connectors. This is not a problem with US style electrics, though. European (particular UK) equipment is very fussy about such matters so, if you visit Europe, you can't be as sloppy as you can in The Americas. Ask us again, when you do.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook