Understanding Boundary Conditions in ODEs: A Guide for Beginners

In summary, the conversation is about a boundary condition in a math book that doesn't make sense to the person reading it. The condition involves a diffusive flow of mass from a point source into a stream, with no bulk movement of solvent involved. The person has figured out that the mass flow rate of solute into the stream is W, but is still uncomfortable with the condition. They thank Chet for helping them out.
member 428835
hi pf!

i was reading a sample problem in a text on ode's and came across a boundary condition that didnt really make sense to me.

the physical scenario is: a liquid ##L## measured in moles/cubic meter (##mol / m^3##) is injected into a stream of water. ##L## is being injected at a rate ##W## measured in (g-moles)/sec (##(g-mol) / s##). the following boundary condition is presented: $$s \to 0 \implies -4 \pi s^2 C \frac{\partial L}{\partial s} \to W$$ where ##s^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2##. this boundary condition physically represents that the injection rate at ##s=0## is ##W## (the coordinate system is centered at the injection site). ##C## is a constant, who's units are square meters per second (##m^2 / s##)

now i know ##4 \pi r^2## is the surface area of a sphere. also, we are given that molar flux, ##\vec{n}## is ##\vec{n}=-C\nabla L## which has units ##mol / (m^2 \times s)##.

thanks for any help on the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make much sense to me either. But, of course, it's in a math book, so who knows what the author knew about mass transfer. The implication is that somehow, there is a diffusive flow of mass from a point source into the stream, with no bulk movement of solvent involved. For this to happen, the concentration L at the point source s = 0 would have to be infinite. Pretty silly, huh. What they really are trying to say is that the mass flow rate of solute into the stream is W.

Chet

Likes 1 person
thanks for the reply, chet.

yea, sometimes these conditions are pretty weird. i finally think i do have this one (surface area times surface flux). still uncomfortable, though.

thanks for helping me out a lot lately!

1. What are boundary conditions in ODEs?

Boundary conditions are conditions that must be satisfied at the endpoints of a differential equation. They define the values of the dependent variable at the boundaries of the domain and help to determine a unique solution to the differential equation.

2. Why are boundary conditions important in ODEs?

Boundary conditions are important because they help to determine a unique solution to a differential equation. Without boundary conditions, there could be an infinite number of possible solutions, making it impossible to solve the equation and make predictions.

3. What are the types of boundary conditions in ODEs?

The types of boundary conditions in ODEs are Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin conditions. Dirichlet conditions specify the values of the dependent variable at the boundaries, Neumann conditions specify the derivative of the dependent variable at the boundaries, and Robin conditions combine both the value and derivative of the dependent variable at the boundaries.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the behavior of a solution to an ODE?

Boundary conditions determine the behavior of a solution by restricting the possible values of the dependent variable at the boundaries. They can change the shape of the solution curve, the number of solutions, and the stability of the solution.

5. Can boundary conditions be changed or adjusted?

Yes, boundary conditions can be changed or adjusted depending on the problem being solved. In some cases, changing the boundary conditions may lead to a different solution or no solution at all. It is important to carefully consider and choose the appropriate boundary conditions for a given ODE problem.