Is the set {(x,y): 0≤xy≤1} bounded and closed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Somefantastik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bounded Closed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Somefantastik
Messages
226
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[tex]A = \left\{(x,y): 0\leq xy \leq 1\right\}, A \in R^{2}[/tex]

I'm trying to determine if this set is bounded and/or closed.


Homework Equations



if X = (x,y)

euclidean metric: [tex]||X|| = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution





I know a bounded set => ||X|| [tex]\leq[/tex] k

so I need to show somehow

[tex]||X|| = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} \leq k[/tex] (somehow)

and closed => every limit point belongs to the set. So take an arbitrary X'= (x',y') [tex]\in[/tex] A'. Then there exists Xn = (x,y) [tex]\in[/tex] A such that Xn -> X' and Xn [tex]\neq[/tex] X'.

Xn [tex]\in[/tex] A => [tex]0 \leq xy \leq 1[/tex]

Need to show X' is such that [tex]0 \leq x'y' \leq 1[/tex] (somehow)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If x=0 for what values of y would you have 0<=xy<=1?
 
Martin Rattigan said:
If x=0 for what values of y would you have 0<=xy<=1?

I see, all values of y, so this set is not finite and therefore not bounded?
 
Correct.

Have you sketched it? The sketch wouldn't prove anything, but it can be helpful to suggest a proof for the next bit.
 
Martin's advice of sketching the set seems to me a good one. For each nonzero value of k, with 0 < k <= 1, you have xy = k, or y = k/x, a hyperbola.
 
In general though, "not finite" does not imply "not bounded", correct?
 
Yes, sorry, I shouldn't have written, "Correct". But I knew what you meant.