Bounded Lebesgue integrals

In summary, the given conversation discusses the proof of why \int_E f\; dm \leq \epsilon using the property of integrable functions and the monotone convergence theorem. It is shown that for each k, \int_{E_k} f\; dm \leq \epsilon, and by taking the limit as k approaches infinity, it can be concluded that \int_E f\; dm \leq \epsilon. The conversation also raises a question about the legality of having an epsilon that depends on k, which is clarified to be a fixed number.
tjkubo
Say f is a non-negative, integrable function over a measurable set E. Suppose
[tex]
\int_{E_k} f\; dm \leq \epsilon
[/tex]
for each positive integer [itex]k[/itex], where
[tex]
E_k = E \cap [-k,k]
[/tex]
Then, why is it true that
[tex]
\int_E f\; dm \leq \epsilon \quad ?
[/tex]

I know that
[tex]
\bigcup_k E_k = E
[/tex]
and intuitively it seems reasonable, but I don't know how to prove it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Proceed by indirect method : if the integral over E is strictly > e ,then the integral over E_k should also exceed e for sufficiently large k.

Why is that so? Are you using some property of integrable functions I'm not seeing?

I think you could also prove it this way. Given [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex], for each [itex]k \in \mathbb{Z}^+[/itex] [itex] \int_{E_k} f \; dm \leq \epsilon/2^k[/itex]. Then
[tex]
\int_E f \; dm = \int_{\bigcup_k E_k} f \; dm \leq \sum_{k=1}^\infty \int_{E_k} f \; dm \leq \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{\epsilon}{2^k} = \epsilon \frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{1 - \frac{1}{2}} = \epsilon \; .
[/tex]

The only question I have is if it's legal to have an epsilon that depends on k, but I think it is since I think your given information held for all [itex] \epsilon > 0 [/itex] and all positive integers k.

Actually, the epsilon is a fixed number. That is why it's stumbling me. Sorry I wasn't clear.

define [itex]f_k(x)=\textbf{1}_{E_k}(x)f(x)[/itex] where [itex]\textbf{1}[/itex] is the characteristic function.
From the monotone convergence theorem you have
[tex]\epsilon \ge \lim_{k\to\infty} \int_{E_k} f \; dm = \lim_{k\to\infty} \int_E f_k \; dm = \int_E f \; dm[/tex]

1. What is a Bounded Lebesgue integral?

A Bounded Lebesgue integral is a type of integral used in measure theory to calculate the area under a curve or the volume under a surface. It is a more general and flexible type of integral compared to the Riemann integral, as it allows for integration over a wider class of functions.

2. How is a Bounded Lebesgue integral different from a Riemann integral?

A Bounded Lebesgue integral is different from a Riemann integral in several ways. Firstly, it allows for integration over a wider class of functions, including those that are not continuous. It also uses a different definition of the integral, which is based on the concept of measure rather than the limit of a sum. This allows for the integration of more complicated and unbounded functions.

3. What is the significance of the "bounded" aspect in a Bounded Lebesgue integral?

The "bounded" aspect in a Bounded Lebesgue integral refers to the fact that the function being integrated must be bounded, meaning that it does not approach infinity or negative infinity at any point. This is important because it ensures that the integral will be well-defined and not result in infinite or undefined values.

4. How is a Bounded Lebesgue integral calculated?

A Bounded Lebesgue integral is calculated by first dividing the function into smaller intervals and finding the measure of each interval. The sum of these measures is then used to calculate the integral using the definition of the integral as the limit of a sum. This process can be more complex than calculating a Riemann integral, but it allows for the integration of a wider class of functions.

5. In what fields of science or mathematics is the use of Bounded Lebesgue integrals most common?

Bounded Lebesgue integrals are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematical analysis. They are particularly useful in situations where the function being integrated is not continuous, or when dealing with infinite or unbounded values. They are also used in probability and statistics, as well as in other areas of mathematics such as functional analysis and harmonic analysis.