1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundedness of a Quadratic Form

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Given:
    [tex] H_0 = x^2 + y^2 + 2axy [/tex]

How does one go about finding the bounds on x and y, based on a? The author of a book I'm reading says that bounds are simple to show based on the different conditions |a|<1, |a|>1, or |a|=1. Unfortunately, I'm not finding it so simple, except for the |a|=1 case. Could someone at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2
    Hmm. Does it help to write H0 as

[tex]\alpha(x+y)^2 + \beta(x-y)^2[/tex]

?

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    I'm trying that now. It turns out to be:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(1+a)(x+y)^2 + \frac{1}{2} (1-a)(x-y)^2[/tex]

I have yet to see if that helps me in any way.

Also, just in case it was a little ambiguous in my first post, the goal is to find out whether if H0 is bounded then x and y are bounded as well. If they are bounded, I need to know how they're bounded in terms of H0

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    In your OP, you said you were trying to find bounds on x and y. Does that mean that H0 is a fixed number (presumably >0)?

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    ^Just edited that in my last post. Yes, sorry, that was a little unclear.

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6
    Ah! In that case, I think the answer is clear. If |a|<1, then you have a sum of two positive squares. Obviously those are both going to be bounded, and that will bound x and y. If |a|>1, you have a positive and a negative square, and you can make one as big as you like as long as you compensate by making the other big, too.

8. Jul 20, 2011 #7
    That does make sense. Thanks!

Now is there any way to do that quantitatively? i.e. Can we bound x and y directly in terms of H0?

EDIT:
    Breaking it into it's [tex] H_0 =\frac{1}{2}(1+a)(x+y)^2 + \frac{1}{2} (1-a)(x-y)^2[/tex] form did give me a lot of useful information about where the zeroes are and where it's positive/negative, but I still haven't coaxed any boundedness info out of it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook