Boundedness of a Quadratic Form

In summary, it is suggested to write H0 as \alpha(x+y)^2 + \beta(x-y)^2 and analyze the different conditions |a|<1, |a|>1, and |a|=1. If |a|<1, x and y are bounded since it is a sum of two positive squares. If |a|>1, x and y can be made arbitrarily large by making one positive and one negative. It is unclear if x and y can be bounded quantitatively in terms of H0. Breaking H0 into its \frac{1}{2}(1+a)(x+y)^2 + \frac{1}{2} (1-a)(x-y)^2 form can provide
thegreenlaser
Given:
[tex] H_0 = x^2 + y^2 + 2axy [/tex]

How does one go about finding the bounds on x and y, based on a? The author of a book I'm reading says that bounds are simple to show based on the different conditions |a|<1, |a|>1, or |a|=1. Unfortunately, I'm not finding it so simple, except for the |a|=1 case. Could someone at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thegreenlaser said:
Given:
[tex] H_0 = x^2 + y^2 + 2axy [/tex]

How does one go about finding the bounds on x and y, based on a? The author of a book I'm reading says that bounds are simple to show based on the different conditions |a|<1, |a|>1, or |a|=1. Unfortunately, I'm not finding it so simple, except for the |a|=1 case. Could someone at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Hmm. Does it help to write H0 as

[tex]\alpha(x+y)^2 + \beta(x-y)^2[/tex]

?

pmsrw3 said:
Hmm. Does it help to write H0 as

[tex]\alpha(x+y)^2 + \beta(x-y)^2[/tex]

?

I'm trying that now. It turns out to be:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(1+a)(x+y)^2 + \frac{1}{2} (1-a)(x-y)^2[/tex]

I have yet to see if that helps me in any way.

Also, just in case it was a little ambiguous in my first post, the goal is to find out whether if H0 is bounded then x and y are bounded as well. If they are bounded, I need to know how they're bounded in terms of H0

In your OP, you said you were trying to find bounds on x and y. Does that mean that H0 is a fixed number (presumably >0)?

^Just edited that in my last post. Yes, sorry, that was a little unclear.

Ah! In that case, I think the answer is clear. If |a|<1, then you have a sum of two positive squares. Obviously those are both going to be bounded, and that will bound x and y. If |a|>1, you have a positive and a negative square, and you can make one as big as you like as long as you compensate by making the other big, too.

pmsrw3 said:
Ah! In that case, I think the answer is clear. If |a|<1, then you have a sum of two positive squares. Obviously those are both going to be bounded, and that will bound x and y. If |a|>1, you have a positive and a negative square, and you can make one as big as you like as long as you compensate by making the other big, too.

That does make sense. Thanks!

Now is there any way to do that quantitatively? i.e. Can we bound x and y directly in terms of H0?

EDIT:
Breaking it into it's [tex] H_0 =\frac{1}{2}(1+a)(x+y)^2 + \frac{1}{2} (1-a)(x-y)^2[/tex] form did give me a lot of useful information about where the zeroes are and where it's positive/negative, but I still haven't coaxed any boundedness info out of it.

Last edited:

1. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a mathematical expression that consists of quadratic terms (terms with degree 2) in multiple variables. It can be written in the form ax2 + by2 + cz2 + 2dxy + 2eyz + 2fxz, where a, b, c, d, e, and f are constants and x, y, and z are variables.

2. What does it mean for a quadratic form to be bounded?

A quadratic form is said to be bounded if it has a finite upper and lower bound. This means that the values of the quadratic form are restricted to a certain range and cannot exceed or go below these bounds.

3. How can I determine if a quadratic form is bounded?

To determine if a quadratic form is bounded, you can use the method of completing the square. If the quadratic form can be written in the form ax2 + by2 + cz2 + 2dxy + 2eyz + 2fxz = (x-x0)2 + (y-y0)2 + (z-z0)2 + K, where x0, y0, z0 are constants and K is a constant term, then the quadratic form is bounded.

4. What is the significance of boundedness of a quadratic form?

The boundedness of a quadratic form is important in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in optimization and the study of matrices. It allows us to analyze and solve problems involving quadratic forms with more ease and precision.

5. Can a quadratic form be unbounded?

Yes, a quadratic form can be unbounded. This means that it does not have a finite upper or lower bound. In this case, the values of the quadratic form can increase or decrease without limit, and its behavior can be more difficult to analyze.