Box being pulled up a ramp by a horizontal force

In summary, a box with a mass of 50.0 kg is being pulled up an inclined ramp at an angle of 27 ⁰ by a horizontal force, (F→). The coefficient of kinetic friction for the ramp is 0.3. To find the force, (F→) on the box, the force of friction (Ff) is calculated using the equation Ff = μFn, where Fn is the normal force. The normal force is found by multiplying the mass of the box by the acceleration due to gravity. The force due to gravity (Fgy) is also calculated by multiplying the mass of the box by the acceleration due to gravity. The force in the x-direction (Fgx) is then determined
phys101

Homework Statement

A box (mass = 50.0 kg) is being pulled up a ramp at an angle of (27 ⁰) by a horizontal force, (F→).
Given that the coefficient of kinetic friction for the ramp is 0.3, find the force, (F→) on the box.

What is the reaction force on the box due to the tramp? (Identify type of force, what causes the force, what the force is acting on, and the direction that force is acting).

(DIAGRAM: see png attachments or https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment_browser.php or http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=boxrampphysicsproblemys8.jpg)

Homework Equations

Key: ∆X = distance X direction
Vo = Initial Velocity
Vf = Final Velocity
A = Acceleration
T = Time
*Possible equations given to solve the Problem*
∆X = VoT + 1/2AT ** Vf = Vo + AT ** V²F = V²o + 2A ∆X ** ∆X = [(Vo + Vf)/2]T

The Attempt at a Solution

(DIAGRAM: see png attachments or https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment_browser.php or http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?i...problemys8.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?i...icsworkri9.jpg
http://img147.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problemdiagramworkingpaos9.png)

The X and Y axis have been rotated to accommodate the new angle 27 ⁰

μ (coefficient of kinetic friction)= .3
Ff = (μ)(Fn)
Ff = (.3)(50.0kg)(9.81 m/s^2)
Ff = 147.15 N (Newtons)
Fn = ma (mass)(acceleration)
= (50.0kg)(-(-9.81m/s^2)
= 490.5 N
Fgy = (50.0kg)(-9.81m/s^2)
= -490.5 N
What I think I need…
Fgx = (50.0kg)(9.81m/s^2)(sin ? ⁰)
My difficulty is (sin ? ⁰)…

Because (F →) is horizontal instead
of being parallel with the X axis, how do I find the proper sin angle?
63 ⁰? Or 63 ⁰ + 27 ⁰? Or 63 ⁰ - 27 ⁰?...

If I can find the proper sin angle would I then equate (F →) as the Fnet (net force) by adding
Fgy + Fgx + Ff?

How are the given kinematic equations involved in finding the solution? (if at all)

Attachments

• problem diagram.png
    problem diagram.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 645
  • problem diagram work.png
    problem diagram work.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 870
  • problem diagram working part 2.png
    problem diagram working part 2.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 790
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A box (mass = 50.0 kg) is being pulled up a ramp at an angle of (27 ⁰) by a horizontal force, (F→).
Whether the force is parallel to the base of the inclined plane or parallel to the surface of the inclined plane? ( I can't open the attachment)

The jpeg was supposed to give the clearest picture possible to the problem. maybe i loaded it wrong...

gonna try again

changed the jpegs into pngs

The horizontal force is parallel to the base of the angle (the ground)

It shows Attachments Pending Approval

lol, they don't have viruses. And both the jpegs and the pngs worked/working for me. But that might just be because I'm the poster?

Last edited:
I can also view the pngs from the (files) link at the website main menu (top of webpage)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment_browser.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the pictures. Now resolve the force F and Fg into two components, One parellel to the inclined plane and another perpendicular to the inclined plane. They are Fcos(27)-parallel, Fsin(27) Perpendicular. Similarly Fgsin(27)--parallel, Fgcos(27) parpendicular. Add the perpendicular compomnents. It becomes normal reaction, from that find the frictional force,Fr. Fr + Fgsin(27) = total downward force. In equilibrium this must be equal to upward Fcos(27). Now solve for F.

Sorry,my english is poor.
Is that box stand at ramp(and it o not muve again) ?
If it is,build a coordinate system .x-axis is parallel to inclined plane.
y-axis is perpendicular to the inclined plane.

Now resolve gravity to two parts
f(gx)=-mgsin27*
f(gy)=-mgcos27*

resolve F to two parts
f(Fx)=Fcos27*
f(Fy)=-Fsin27*

kinetic friction:f(μ)=μ[f(Fy)+f(gy)]

For equilibrium:
f(Fx)+f(μ)+f(gx)=0

f(Fx)+μf(Fy)=-f(gx)-μf(gy)

Fcos27*+0.3(Fsin27*)=0.3(50)(9.8)(cos27*)+50(9.8)(sin27*)

[Because (F →) is horizontal instead
of being parallel with the X axis, how do I find the proper sin angle?]
When I study physics at early.I have same problems as you.But it is not difficult.
To build a coordinate system(Origin is the mass center),one axis parallel to path,another perpendicular.
All the force,must resolve to these tow axises.
I hope it can help you.

PS.Pardon me for my lousy English.

Last edited:

1. How does the angle of the ramp affect the force required to pull the box up?

The angle of the ramp affects the force required to pull the box up in two ways. First, as the angle increases, the component of the force acting against gravity decreases, making it easier to lift the box. Second, as the angle increases, the length of the ramp increases, requiring more work to be done to lift the box to the same height. Therefore, the force required to pull the box up will increase as the angle of the ramp increases.

2. What is the relationship between the weight of the box and the force required to pull it up the ramp?

The force required to pull the box up the ramp is directly proportional to the weight of the box. This means that as the weight of the box increases, the force required to pull it up will also increase. This relationship is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

3. Can friction affect the force required to pull the box up the ramp?

Yes, friction can affect the force required to pull the box up the ramp. Friction is a force that opposes motion, and it can act in the direction opposite to the motion of the box up the ramp. This means that a portion of the force applied to pull the box up must be used to overcome the frictional force. Therefore, the greater the friction, the more force will be required to pull the box up the ramp.

4. How does the length of the ramp affect the force required to pull the box up?

The length of the ramp has a direct impact on the force required to pull the box up. As the length of the ramp increases, so does the distance the box must travel, and therefore, the work that must be done to lift the box to a certain height. This means that the force required to pull the box up will also increase as the length of the ramp increases.

5. Is it possible for the box to slide back down the ramp while being pulled up by a horizontal force?

Yes, it is possible for the box to slide back down the ramp while being pulled up by a horizontal force. This can happen if the force being applied is not strong enough to overcome the weight of the box and any friction present. In this case, the box will start to slide back down the ramp in the direction opposite to the force being applied.