1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Braced column under compressive load

1. May 27, 2012 #1
    Screen Shot 2012-05-27 at 10.21.09 PM.png 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

P = EI pi^2 / Leff radius of gyration: SQRT (I/A), slenderness ratio: Leff/r

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've found Ixx = 240.81 x 10^6 mm^4, Iyy = 71.9 x 10^6 A = 9600 finding the radiuses of gyration rx = 158.38, ry = 86.54
    effective length of x axis : (one end pinned, i'm assuming the buckling = fixeed and do i use the longer length?) 6*0.7 = 4.2
    efective length of y: 10*1 (both ends pinned)
    I'm not sure about the effective length part, I know I'm meant to find the larger slenderness ratio (which identifies the weaker axis) and then plug that into the P = EI pi^2 / Leff . I don't know how to address a column supported in this way. do I average the lengths or something?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should use k = 1 as the effective length factor in both cases, where L = 10 for major axis and L = 6 for minor axis. This is due to member rotation at the braced support at the buckling mode. See which controls. Also check your buckling formula the L should be squared, Pcr = pi^2 EI/L^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook