Are Quantum Processes Responsible for Brain Functions and Consciousness?

• Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proton
In summary, the researchers found that there are quantum processes in the brain and that they correlated short-term memory and conscious awareness.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
From phys.org:

"For our experiments we used proton spins of 'brain water' as the known system. 'Brain water' builds up naturally as fluid in our brains and the proton spins can be measured using MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging). Then, by using a specific MRI design to seek entangled spins, we found MRI signals that resemble heartbeat evoked potentials, a form of EEG signals.

Dr. Kerskens added, "If entanglement is the only possible explanation here then that would mean that brain processes must have interacted with the nuclear spins, mediating the entanglement between the nuclear spins. As a result, we can deduce that those brain functions must be quantum. "Because these brain functions were also correlated to short-term memory performance and conscious awareness, it is likely that those quantum processes are an important part of our cognitive and conscious brain functions.

Likes hutchphd
Biology news on Phys.org
Its alive, its alive, its alive...! This is worth a look if only to pick apart. Of course the kicker is from Dr. Kerskens "If entanglement is the only possible explanation..."
So they look at the spin spin decay (or linewidth) and try to correlate it to conscious processes. Perhaps they tortured the data into submission...I suspect not ... but they deserve applause for the attempt. Here is the actual paper:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/2399-6528/ac94be/pdf

It seems to me the question should be is there or is there not measurable quantum processes in the brain. The authors might get the interpretation wrong and still be right on the larger point that the brain is non-classical. Penrose has been saying that for decades. Does this work confirm that point or are the authors measuring something entirely spurious?

bob012345 said:
Penrose has been saying that for decades. Does this work confirm that point or are the authors measuring something entirely spurious?
Penrose picked microtubules and "Orch-OR". I am much more excited about this "brain water". I strikes me as a much more employable component. I also suspect that there are many independent "consciousness circuits" each one based on Grover's Algorithm.

bob012345 said:
It seems to me the question should be is there or is there not measurable quantum processes in the brain.
With respect; what in living heck does that mean?
Of course there are quantum processes in the brain. Every chemical reaction is a "quantum process". Perhaps you could be a bit more definite.

I never bet against Sir Roger . He has a spectacular intellect.

Likes bob012345 and BillTre
hutchphd said:
Of course there are quantum processes in the brain. Every chemical reaction is a "quantum process". Perhaps you could be a bit more definite.

I'm sure @bob012345 meant whether there are quantum processes that are directly used to process "thoughtful" information. So if you looked at a computer, you could quickly determine that there were metal components, some of which carried electric current. But determining if any of them carry information would require a more detailed check.

To extend the analogy, finding entangled proton spins in the brain would be like finding functional semiconductors in the computer. It still doesn't mean that those protons are used for directly processing our thoughts, but it indicates that potential QM thought processing mechanisms are available.

This is a big jump from opinions that have claimed that the brain was too wet and warm for useful entanglement. Especially being that the protons are in the wettest and warmest parts.

Likes bob012345
hutchphd said:

Like @.Scott said, whether the process Penrose discusses in his books or something else, I meant if it can be identified that the brain is actually quantum computing with such a process vs. just detecting quantum processes in the fluids due to Chemistry.

1. What is the concept of "Brains Entangle Proton Spins"?

The concept of "Brains Entangle Proton Spins" refers to the phenomenon of two or more brains exhibiting synchronized brain activity, which in turn leads to the entanglement of proton spins in those brains. This concept is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and suggests that brains can communicate and synchronize with each other at a subatomic level.

2. How do brains entangle proton spins?

It is believed that brains entangle proton spins through the process of quantum entanglement. This occurs when two or more particles become connected in a way that their properties are dependent on each other, regardless of the distance between them. In the case of brains, this entanglement occurs at the subatomic level, allowing for synchronized brain activity and communication.

3. What evidence supports the idea of brains entangling proton spins?

There have been several studies that have shown evidence of synchronized brain activity and communication between individuals, even when they are physically separated. This suggests that there may be a mechanism, such as the entanglement of proton spins, that allows for this synchronization to occur. However, more research is needed to fully understand and confirm this concept.

4. Can brains entangle proton spins with non-brain objects?

While it is possible for two or more brains to entangle proton spins with each other, it is currently unknown if this can also occur with non-brain objects. Some theories suggest that it may be possible for brains to entangle with other objects, but more research is needed to explore this idea further.

5. What are the potential implications of brains entangling proton spins?

If the concept of brains entangling proton spins is proven to be true, it could have significant implications in fields such as neuroscience, psychology, and even quantum computing. It could also lead to a better understanding of how brains communicate and interact with each other, and potentially open up new avenues for research and technology development.