Brainstorming for a self-directed class project

In summary, the conversation was about choosing a topic for a class project involving fluids and/or thermodynamics. The project would be a feasibility study on a proposed improvement to an engineering system. Some vague ideas included missile or submarine design, water pumping systems, and tidal energy. The person asked for more ideas that would fit the bill, and the expert suggested drag reduction devices on cylindrical vessels and gas bubble dynamics in non-Newtonian fluids as potential topics. The person then asked for any thermo/combustion related ideas.
Cygnus_A
I need to choose a topic for a class project involving fluids and/or thermodynamics.

It will essentially be a feasibility study on some proposed improvement to an engineering system (of my choosing). For instance, it could be an improvement to a power plant component that increases combustion efficiency by so-and-so and reduces the carbon footprint by x amount. I'm kind of interested in sticking more to the fluid dynamics side of things than the thermo side, but I'm not limited to one or the other.

Some vague ideas that I've had so far have included:
- missile design or submarine design (maybe something that reduces missile plume? or the turbine efficiency?)
- water pumping systems for residential areas
... and that's about it.

Can you help me by listing some ideas that fit the bill?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tidal energy project?, but not everywhere in the world has coastal geography which makes that feasible
(If I had a handle on the controls.a tidal generator in the sea between England and France is a good idea.
But the Dutch might be not be very happy about that.

Last edited:
Cygnus_A said:
I need to choose a topic for a class project involving fluids and/or thermodynamics.

It will essentially be a feasibility study on some proposed improvement to an engineering system (of my choosing). For instance, it could be an improvement to a power plant component that increases combustion efficiency by so-and-so and reduces the carbon footprint by x amount. I'm kind of interested in sticking more to the fluid dynamics side of things than the thermo side, but I'm not limited to one or the other.

Some vague ideas that I've had so far have included:
- missile design or submarine design (maybe something that reduces missile plume? or the turbine efficiency?)
- water pumping systems for residential areas
... and that's about it.

Can you help me by listing some ideas that fit the bill?

I imagine it would depend on which class you're taking. Assuming it's a fluid mechanics or thermo class I would suggest one of the following:
- drag reduction devices on cylindrical vessels (i.e., long vertical pipes in the ocean subjected to ocean currents)
- gas bubble dynamics in non-Newtonian fluids (i.e., behavior of rising gas bubbles in a non-Newtonian fluid)

Hope this helps.

CS

Thanks!
I'm still looking into possible fluid dynamics projects. Any thermo/combustion related ideas?

1. What is brainstorming for a self-directed class project?

Brainstorming for a self-directed class project is a process of generating ideas and solutions for a project that is self-directed, meaning you have control over the topic and approach. It involves coming up with a variety of ideas without judgment or criticism, and then selecting the most viable ones to pursue further.

2. How can brainstorming benefit a self-directed class project?

Brainstorming can benefit a self-directed class project by allowing you to explore different angles and perspectives for your project, leading to more creative and innovative ideas. It also helps in identifying potential challenges and finding solutions for them before starting the project.

3. What are some effective brainstorming techniques for a self-directed class project?

Some effective brainstorming techniques for a self-directed class project include mind mapping, free writing, role-playing, and group brainstorming. These techniques encourage flexibility, collaboration, and open-mindedness, leading to a wider range of ideas.

4. How can I ensure that my brainstorming session for a self-directed class project is productive?

To ensure a productive brainstorming session, it is essential to set a clear goal or objective for the project, establish a comfortable and non-judgmental environment, and encourage all participants to share their ideas without criticism. It is also helpful to have a facilitator to guide the session and keep it focused.

5. Can brainstorming be used for any type of self-directed class project?

Yes, brainstorming can be used for any type of self-directed class project, whether it is a research paper, presentation, or creative project. It is a versatile technique that can be applied to various subjects and topics, making it a valuable tool for any self-directed project.