Branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay

In summary, the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay is estimated to be approximately 8*10^-7 according to the Particle Data Group's 2008 report on bottom mesons. However, due to the inclusion of J/Psi and Psi(2S) particles, accurate measurement is difficult and there isn't a single well-defined number.
lavster
hi can anyone tell me what the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay is and/or tell me a webpage i can find info on this decay which is accessible to ppl that doesn't have a huge knowledge in this field (i am an undergraduate)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not simple, as mu+mu- includes the J/Psi and the Psi(2S), so some mechanism of subtraction is required. That means there isn't a single number that is well-defined.

1. What is the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay?

The branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay is a measure of the probability that a B0 meson will decay into a K* meson and two muons. It is typically expressed as a percentage or a decimal value.

2. How is the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay determined?

The branching fraction is determined through experiments that measure the number of B0 -> K* mu mu decays compared to the total number of B0 meson decays. This data is then used to calculate the branching fraction using statistical methods.

3. What factors can affect the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay?

There are several factors that can affect the branching fraction, including the mass of the B0 and K* mesons, the energy of the muons, and the decay mode of the B0 meson. Other experimental conditions, such as the detector efficiency and background noise, can also impact the measured branching fraction.

4. What is the significance of studying the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay?

Studying the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay can provide valuable insights into the underlying physics processes involved in this decay. It can also help to test the predictions of theoretical models and search for new physics beyond the Standard Model.

5. What is the current status of the branching fraction of B0 -> K* mu mu decay?

The current measured branching fraction for B0 -> K* mu mu decay is about 4.2 x 10^-7, with a precision of about 10%. However, ongoing experiments at facilities such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) are working towards improving this measurement with higher precision and sensitivity.