Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I ## \mu~\to e~ \gamma ## decay width and neutrino propagator

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1
    Hi all,

I'm studying ## \mu \to e~ \gamma ## decay from cheng & Lie' book " gauge theory of elementary particles ". In Equation (13.84), he wrote the neutrino propagator
    ## \sum_i \Big ( \frac{U^{*}_{ei} U_{\mu i}}{(p+k)^2-m_i^2} \Big), ##
    (where the sum taken over neutrinos flavors) in the form:

##\sum_i U^{*}_{ei} U_{\mu i} \Big ( \frac{1}{(p+k)^2} + \frac{m_i^2}{[(p+k)^2]^2} + ...... \Big) ##
    ##= \sum_i \frac{U^{*}_{ei} U_{\mu i} m_i^2}{[(p+k)^2]^2} + ........##

Do any one know how did he drive this ? Then he write that:

the leading term vanishes, ## \sum_i U^{*}_{ei} U_{\mu i}##, reflecting the GIM cancellation mechanism.

I can't get this statement ..

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the sum should be taken over the neutrino masses. The flavour eigenstates do not have definite masses.

Just expand the quotient for small ##m_i##.

It follows directly from the unitarity of ##U##. It is the ##\mu##-##e## element of ##U U^\dagger = 1##.

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3
    Hi, thanks for replying:

Can you please write the general form, like for instance taylor expansion, it seems i'm not so good in math !

Actually this still not clear for me , ##\sum_i U^{*}_{ei} U_{\mu i} ## is multiplied by the first term ## \frac{1}{(p+k)^2} ## as well as the second term ## \frac{m_i^2}{[(p+k)^2]^2} ##, so why the first one which has been ignored .. also what's GIM mechanism and he says due to this mechanism this first leading term vanishes ..

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

$$
    \frac{1}{1+x} = 1 - x + x^2 + \ldots
    $$

The first term ## \frac{1}{(p+k)^2} ## is independent of ##i## and can be taken out of the sum. The second term is not independent of ##i##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted