Peanut Butter & Bread: Is It Enough For Long-Term Nutrition?

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nutrition
In summary, it is not possible to eat only peanut butter for months on end and be relatively healthy. Bread and water can do the trick. Peanut butter would probably be a better option, but still I'd imagine its missing something quite vital (plus that much fat & salt can't be healthy).
tumor
Is it possible to eat only peanut butter for months on end and be relativelly healthy?Or maybe bread and water can do the trick?

Biology news on Phys.org
Very doubtful. Your body needs a vareity of substances, including carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. Bread consists largely of carbohydrates, & provides little else. Peanut butter would probably be a better option, but still I'd imagine its missing something quite vital (plus that much fat & salt can't be healthy)
I doubt anyone food contains everything you need to live healthily.

yeah it would keep you alive, but healthy? I highly doubt it. as matthyaouw said, bread contains lots of carbohydrates, which are an essential part of your diet (should always account for 50% of diet), and your brain consumes a lot of glucose - a form of carbohydrates. but peanut butter contains little vitamins and minerals, and lots of proteins usually found in meat and animal products.

As to the peanut butter,I only eat naturall one without any additives(sugar,hydrog.oils etc) yummi :tongue:
So what single food can keep human being longest alive?

I would wager eating eggs !

tumor said:
Is it possible to eat only peanut butter for months on end and be relativelly healthy?Or maybe bread and water can do the trick?

Why are you fasting? It's not healthy

I once ate just crackers and water for an entire week and didn't feel too good after. I don't recommend it

One more thing, I am vegan. :frown: Not many options there for me, so i have stuff my self with p. butter.

It is a very bad idea to eat only peanut butter, just google for veganism and you will probably find lots of information. If you only eat peanut butter you will not get al the aminoacids that your body needs to make proteins, and of course you will not get enough vitamins, so also eat fruit and vegetables.

I think as a vegan you should eat multiple kinds of vegetables, multiple kinds of beans, lentils, multiple kinds of nuts and fruit, and all that in a varied pattern in order to get all the required nutrients to life healthy.

I think you can find some good information here:
http://www.veganhealth.org/shv/ [Broken]
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/vegan-nutrition.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
tumor said:

sorry to be so morbid, but probably other people. A healthy person contains everything a healthy person needs :wink:

matthyaouw said:
sorry to be so morbid, but probably other people. A healthy person contains everything a healthy person needs :wink:

Yes, but you will probably not get all the required nutrients if you only eat the muscle tissue (like we do mostly with other animals), I mean some good stuff is in the bones etc.. Probably the best thing to do is to put whole bodies of other people through a mincing machine :wink:

but this may not fit in a vegan diet

The sweatbreads and the liver have a fair bit of nutrience. Top it off with some farva beans, and you will be right.

How about human Brains! :tongue2:

A little lacking in iron I think... Now if you were to grind it all up & make some kind of human sausage or burger, you might have some quality (if not disgusting) nutrition.

tumor said:
How about human Brains! :tongue2:

How about some fava beans and a nice chianti to go along with that.

You really need to get those organ meats. Spleen, liver, heart, lungs,.. How about a delicious politician tongue sandwich?

The_Professional said:
How about some fava beans and a nice chianti to go along with that.

Allright! bring your brains to my place and I will do some cooking.
All invited!

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
You really need to get those organ meats. Spleen, liver, heart, lungs,.. How about a delicious politician tongue sandwich?

A politician's tongue? That would be pretty terse wouldn't it?

bross7 said:
A politician's tongue? That would be pretty terse wouldn't it?

Richly marbled through vigorous excercise.

tumor said:

I think Gerben offered good advice for a vegan. I was one for 8 years (now I eat dairy a couple of times a week). I managed to stay very healthy by eating fruits, veggies, and combining incomplete proteins (beans/legumes plus grains).

In terms of a single food, which I don't think is a good idea (especially for a young person), I remember Georges Osawa (author of Zen Macrobiotics) a couple of decades ago claimed he lived on nothing but brown rice.

I've thought about this too, and if I had to choose just one food it would be types of sprouted bread that I eat every day. Do you know about this? There is a company called "Food for Life" who makes several varieties. Their first product years ago they called "Ezekiel Bread" because the recipe can be found in the book of Ezekiel in the OT. It is bread made, not from flour, but from sprouting grains and beans, mashing them, creating a dough-like batter, adding yeast, and then baking it. It comes out looking very close to what flour bread looks like (there is another way to make it so it comes out more moist), but there are differences and major benefits to health and digestion.

For one, their Ezekiel recipe is a complete protein because they sprout both beans and grains (of course they are high in carbs too, but it's good carbs because they are "complex," and so break down much more slowly than refined carbs); I don't have a loaf in the house now, but if I remember correctly one slice is 7 grams of protein! I think their Sesame loaf is the same. I like the cinnamon raisen myself, which has only 4 grams per slice, but is great toasted with a little cold pressed oil brushed on.

Another benefit is how easy 100% sprouted bread is digested. You will never feel your energy sag from eating this bread (it digests MUCH easier than sticky flour bread, even whole grain varieties),and it zips thru the intestines giving one a nice cleaning. I actually do live on it during the day, except I eat fruit first thing in the morn, put oil on the bread (which I always toast), I take brewers yeast daily (great stuff); at night I usually have veggies and some grain, usually rice. Weekends I tend to party food-wise and eat cheese dishes (mmmmm, love pizza) and fine grain drinks (otherwise known as beer :smile:).

1. What are the nutritional benefits of peanut butter and bread?

Peanut butter and bread are both good sources of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats. Peanut butter also contains vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, magnesium, and potassium.

2. Can peanut butter and bread provide enough calories for long-term nutrition?

While peanut butter and bread can provide a good amount of calories, they should not be relied on as the sole source of nutrition for a long period of time. It is important to have a balanced and varied diet to meet all of your nutritional needs.

3. Is peanut butter and bread a complete source of protein?

No, peanut butter and bread do not contain all of the essential amino acids that make up a complete protein. To get all of the necessary amino acids, it is important to include a variety of protein sources in your diet.

4. Can peanut butter and bread provide enough vitamins and minerals for long-term health?

While peanut butter and bread do contain some vitamins and minerals, they may not provide enough for long-term health. It is important to incorporate a variety of fruits and vegetables into your diet to ensure you are getting all of the necessary nutrients.

5. Are there any potential health concerns with consuming peanut butter and bread long-term?

Peanut butter and bread can be a part of a healthy diet, but consuming them as the main source of nutrition for a long period of time may lead to nutrient deficiencies. It is important to have a balanced diet that includes a variety of foods to promote optimal health.